• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star DX500 max input?

bestro

Feb 28, 2012
Whats the max pep i can put into the TS DX500.Dead key 2 watts an swing up to _ _....whats the pep.Thanks for any fee back.

it all depends how nice you want it to sound and how long you want it to last.
With the old transistors I have seen over 700 PEP. The new ones need to be treated with a little more respect. 500 is fine on a DX 500 and shouldn't hurt it.

Reactions: 1 person
With the old transistors I have seen over 700 PEP. The new ones need to be treated with a little more respect. 500 is fine on a DX 500 and shouldn't hurt it.

You have seen over 700 watts pep out of a Texas Star 500? 500-550 watts peak is all she'll do. 20-25 watts peak is all you want to drive a TS 500 with.

He wants to know the max PEP input from the radio, not max wattage out from the amp. If your saying you get 700 watts from a DX500 of any vintage you need a new watt meter.

Reactions: NZ8N and skiman1
I have seen over 700 playing around with 60-70 watts in which didnt surprise me as its just a 667 without the 2SC2290 driver. There were huge discussions on this verey forum that I got into years ago before I attempted to experiment as others have and seen just what they said they seen. Did anything pop or let go?? NOPE!! Would I run any of my DX500 like that everyday? NOPE? I run 20 - 25 watts in max and get 350-400 out on a true peak reding meter and thats good enough for me to be heard on 10 meters and I know its clean there. Most of the time I will run enough drive to get 200 - 250 watts out and am heard fine there.

I also stress the point to everyone about running a fan on the heatsinks on these Amplifiers and or any anplifier that doesnt have a fan no mater how big the amplifier is because heat is ne cause of death in these devices and for the few dollars it costs for a small computer fan which is sufficiant and a small 12 volt powersource that will last damn near our lifetime running on one amplifier to the next its a win win purchase and saftey precaution.

Reactions: Holydvr
20 to 25 watts peak (example bird w/peak kit) should yield approx 500 watts peak out.
That is why they call it a 500.

I do not doubt that a 500 will produce 700 watts (again peak ) if you drive it hard and feed it all the current it needs at about 14 volts.
I will not run mine that way because if you do not have all your ducks in a row it is that much easier to hurt the amp.
They get hot, you have to put a fan on them even at the 500 watt level.
I run mine at about 350/400 out ( as Tony Posted) on SSB on 10/12 meters and it has provided many years of service.

Jeff

20 to 25 watts peak (example bird w/peak kit) should yield approx 500 watts peak out.
That is why they call it a 500.

I do not doubt that a 500 will produce 700 watts (again peak ) if you drive it hard and feed it all the current it needs at about 14 volts.
I will not run mine that way because if you do not have all your ducks in a row it is that much easier to hurt the amp.
They get hot, you have to put a fan on them even at the 500 watt level.
I run mine at about 350/400 out ( as Tony Posted) on SSB on 10/12 meters and it has provided many years of service.

Jeff

I would agree with that, drive it with 80-100 watts PEP and a steady 15 volts. You could fry and egg talk on the radio and see 700 watts all at the same time. Probably splatter 10 channels in each direction and get into half the tv sets on your block as well. Until the amp went poof.

Reactions: NZ8N
I dont think that alot of peope realize that The Ameritron ALS-500 mobile HF amplifier runs the same transistors the Texas Star 500 runs. Its a 4 x 2SC2879 setup as far (as transistors go)

I put 100 PEP into my 500v and it still runs pretty cool. I do have fans though. Its my understanding that its the average power that will make your amp run hot. I don't think I'm swinging more than 12 to 15 average but doing close to 100 PEP. No issues and seeing about 535 PEP watts out of it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.