• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star

Tlag77

Jul 27, 2016
White Lake MI
Alright fellas, I think it's time to hook up my Texas Star in my mobile. I don't think there are any locals around here or they just aren't answering.

Aside from grounding and proper wiring is there anything else I need to do? I do have dial a watt on my rig so if I need to turn down output I can do that.
I know the radio gets out because on Tuesday skip must've been rolling I was talking in to a guy in Alabama and I'm on Michigan.

And before I hear get your ticket, I can't afford all the HAM equipment. I have an inexpensive radio and I've had the amp for twenty years.

Reactions: Limeybastard

I would say the first thing to do is a little research and find out what antenna for your mobile would work the best with the power that amp puts out. Your antenna is the most important piece of equipment. That and use a good quality coax.

Need more information. Is this an amp and radio you have run in the past and it's a re-install? Are you new to amplifiers? If so what radio and which Texas Star?

Need more information. Is this an amp and radio you have run in the past and it's a re-install? Are you new to amplifiers? If so what radio and which Texas Star?
The radio is a Grant XL which I just purchased last month. The amp I have had for about 20 years-ish. I ran it when I had it years ago but I fried the Cobra I was running back then.
So I guess I am kinda new all over again with the amp, well and radios in general although I have learned allot here over the past year just reading all the things you guys post.

Ok what model amp, 250, 350? The Grant xl is a great lower powered radio and will work fine with many different amplifiers. Having the AM carrier set low enough for what ever amp you have should be easy with your variable power.

Run red power line to the battery, ground to the firewall. Fuse at the battery and amplifier. get good quality 3 or 6 foot jumpers, make sure your antenna can handle the wattage you will have and make sure it is properly installed. Should be good to go.

Ok what model amp, 250, 350? The Grant xl is a great lower powered radio and will work fine with many different amplifiers. Having the AM carrier set low enough for what ever amp you have should be easy with your variable power.

Run red power line to the battery, ground to the firewall. Fuse at the battery and amplifier. get good quality 3 or 6 foot jumpers, make sure your antenna can handle the wattage you will have and make sure it is properly installed. Should be good to go.
Awesome that is what i was thinking, though I didn't want to cause any harm to anything.
I didn't metion the size now did I? It is the 500.

The 500 is a great amplifier. I would go at least #6 wire for that, #8 if it's a short run and #4 if it's a long run. Make sure your antenna can handle 500 watts. A 60 or 70 amp fuse or breaker at the battery would be good as well. Should be a nice combo, on SSB with maybe 14-16 watts PEP that amp will run all day long and still hit 450+ watts peak.

Reactions: Tallman and Tlag77
The 500 is a great amplifier. I would go at least #6 wire for that, #8 if it's a short run and #4 if it's a long run. Make sure your antenna can handle 500 watts. A 60 or 70 amp fuse or breaker at the battery would be good as well. Should be a nice combo, on SSB with maybe 14-16 watts PEP that amp will run all day long and still hit 450+ watts peak.
Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to mount everything in a 2000 Jimmy. Thank you sir for all of your input and responses. I definitely feel more confident hooking this stuff up now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.