• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Texas Star ?

Well, it finally happened!! I made the huge absent-minded mistake!! Luckily, NO issues! Here's the story. Was talking skip yesterday using my Stryker 955 with the upgraded finals, and my Texas Star DX-500V . I scanned the band a little after dropping down from 27.425 and ended up listening to Jerkwad Sherman on 19 for a bit. Yes, flipped it over to AM so I could hear the guys reaming on him. Well, without thinking, I struck up a conversation with one of the guys, and spoke for about 10 to 15 minutes with him before my heart climbed into my throat. YES!! I had forgotten to drop my power or turn my amp off. Back and forth, for a 10 or 15 minute period, I was slamming that 500v with an 11 watt carrier and full swing of about 80 to 90 pep. I immediately lifted the key, felt the sides of the amp, and twisted the know to LSB on the radio. Moved to another channel and checked out the amp for possible issues. NONE. All works as intended and the case remained cool. Crisis averted!! What I can't figure out is how the magic smoke stayed inside. I can safely say that I will never do this again!

BBI did a vid on this 2 years ago here, TS was using them. I bought mine, in April 2020 and it DEis in it.
dei's are complete garbage as well, and the components in the t.s amps now are so cheap its unbelievable. anyway no matter what texas star (ranger) chooses to use in their amps now, i would never purchase equipment and support a company that purchases items, uses and supports the black market counterfeit ring. they should hang their heads low in shame. pshhhhh, ranger

Last edited:
dei's are complete garbage as well, and the components in the t.s amps now are so cheap its unbelievable. anyway no matter what texas star (ranger) chooses to use in their amps now, i would never purchase equipment and support a company that purchases items, uses and supports the black market counterfeit ring. they should hang their heads low in shame. pshhhhh, ranger

Well, maybe compared to Toshiba they are garbage. I don't have enough experience with amps to know the difference. And, maybe Texas Star uses cheap shit in their amps. I don't know. But... I just pounded the living hell out of mine by accident, over-driving it for an extended period with an 11W carrier and about 90 pep with absolutely NO issues. Was I scared? You bet I was!! But I was also pleasantly surprised when it kept working as intended. If this is how they build their "junk", I'll take it.

Ranger has nothing to do with Texas Star amps.

DEI stands for DON&ED Inc which is the two brothers that owned Texas Star/Galaxy. One has passed on and the other is the sole owner now they imported those transistors for a couple years. They buy HG's now for Texas Star amps.
All the above.

There was a hint last year that the whole thing was for sale after he passed.

Jeff

That would be correct, I had tried to list a couple rfx95 units and eBay police shut me down. Ebay po-po's hadn't been an issue for years.... Some salty snobby ham probably doing the snitching.

I tried twice and both shot down within hours so I'll just keep them!
There’s one on there now listed as a “low pass filter and final stage”……..so there you go…..

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
There’s one on there now listed as a “low pass filter and final stage”……..so there you go…..
Yeah and oddly enough that one was listed when I had mine on there. I changed mine to resemble his wording and somehow still got pulled. His has continued to stay up, makes you wonder doesn't it...

Like others have said, fleebay sucks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.