• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TH-D72, Win7Pro, Winlink / Airmail?

K7RWP

Jan 22, 2010
I am trying to set up my netbook running Win7Pro to work with my new Kenwood TH-D72 via USB cable, so I can use programs like Airmail. I am relatively new to packet radio, and am not finding simple things like which TNC profile to use. Does anyone know of a simple walkthrough it getting Airmail up and running with this rig? Any help very much appreciated.

Richard
K7RWP

Well, I'm an Airmail user, but I haven't tried this with my D72 yet. However, it should be fairly straight forward to setup. Just put the D72's TNC into PACKET mode, which lets you use it as a KISS TNC. Then in Airmail, use KISS as your TNC type and it should work. Let me know if you can't get it to go and I'll give it a try on my notebook.

Thank you for the response. Do you know if I need to set up AGWPE, or can just access directly from Airmail? Under the Airmail connection options, "modem type", I do not see a "KISS" option. I do not see a KISS option under TNC Type for AGWPE, but there is a subtype option that lists KISS Simple, XKISS (Checksum), and Smack KISS. So two basic questions so far: 1) what "TNC" type do I use, and 2) do I need AGWPE?

Richard
K7RWP

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.