• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

That whole coax length thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another stupid CBer old wives tale along with pouring salt around the base of your antenna and other dumb crap. Hams and professional radio people don't bother themselves with nonsense like this...

Reactions: midnight special
There used to be a ham next door to me that salted the ground under his antenna tower.

I've also been told by old timers in the area that all the "antenna seasoning" nonsense started with hams.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabbiporkchop
There used to be a ham next door to me that salted the ground under his antenna tower.

I've also been told by old timers in the area that all the "antenna seasoning" nonsense started with hams.

There has been some evidence to warrant salting ground rods and that may have been what he was doing. You do not want to use regular salt however as it will eventually eat the copper rods. Limited success has been done using copper sulphate for the salting component but the area would have to be EXTREMELY poor for there to be any significant difference. This idea is typically called a chemical ground.

There has been some evidence to warrant salting ground rods and that may have been what he was doing.
I read some articles on this subject too and even burying loads of BB's in the soil. Problem is that it isn't a one time fix. It has to be continuously re-applied over time. The corrosion issue is another problem as you pointed out. There is iron-nite which is sold in bags to add iron to the soil for greening up grass and shrubs which works well for us here in the desert southwest with sandy soil. Even that breaks down over time and has to be re-applied.

If I was really concerned about improving earth ground conditions, then why not bury a bunch of chicken wire or large sheets of metal wire mesh under and around your antenna?

Mic drop....... Well said sir!!

You sond like your 16 years with the "Mic Drop" idiocy. Since I have a 19 year old son and two 16 year old sons I know how they think and speak rather well! You know now one does that seriously expecting to be taken seriously. You mostly see it done by comedians and in really bad comedy movies like "21 Jump Street" and such. It has been to death to the point that it is not even funny or witty when done on comedy sketches.

There has been some evidence to warrant salting ground rods and that may have been what he was doing. You do not want to use regular salt however as it will eventually eat the copper rods. Limited success has been done using copper sulphate for the salting component but the area would have to be EXTREMELY poor for there to be any significant difference. This idea is typically called a chemical ground.

Just looking for a little clarification, is this reply for me or for silver devil? I was just replying to silver devils post, he was the one who criticized salts effectiveness.

Also this neighbor of mine used to coat the whole ground with salt before wetting it all down to soak it in.

LOL you guys want to believe childish nonsense and old wives tales go right ahead.. Ill do what i want with my stuff and have fun while you schmucks are gonna sit in front of your silly charts and formulas trying to figure out the perfect coax length to a t. LOL.

I read some articles on this subject too and even burying loads of BB's in the soil. Problem is that it isn't a one time fix. It has to be continuously re-applied over time. The corrosion issue is another problem as you pointed out. There is iron-nite which is sold in bags to add iron to the soil for greening up grass and shrubs which works well for us here in the desert southwest with sandy soil. Even that breaks down over time and has to be re-applied.

If I was really concerned about improving earth ground conditions, then why not bury a bunch of chicken wire or large sheets of metal wire mesh under and around your antenna?

Radials and chicken do not make a good lightning ground. The grounds I was talking about would have been for ground rods for lightning. I have heard of some stations that plumb their downspouts so that the water keeps the area around the rods damper. I suppose that makes sense but not much good is desert or drought prone areas.

Just looking for a little clarification, is this reply for me or for silver devil? I was just replying to silver devils post, he was the one who criticized salts effectiveness.

Also this neighbor of mine used to coat the whole ground with salt before wetting it all down to soak it in.

Either I suppose. I just saw the part about the nonsense starting with hams and coughed up my two cents worth. Not criticizing anyone with my comment just adding something to the mix.

Reactions: StrangeBrew
LOL you guys want to believe childish nonsense and old wives tales go right ahead.. Ill do what i want with my stuff and have fun while you schmucks are gonna sit in front of your silly charts and formulas trying to figure out the perfect coax length to a t. LOL.

Apparently it is YOU that needs to learn a little bit more than you think you know. While simply dumping rock salt in a hole is not really the way to do it, chemical grounds do in fact work. As for your statement about charts and proper lengths of coax, ONCE AGAIN take another look and see who is in favor of that and what response it gets here. Newbies think it because they heard it while the old timers here are quick to set them straight. Speaking of getting set straight knock off the profanity directed directly at individuals. You are not immune to being shown the door.

https://www.erico.com/category.asp?category=R2500

http://wirelessestimator.com/content/industryinfo/492
http://wirelessestimator.com/content/industryinfo/492

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.