• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The E Coast Wins When It Comes To Radio Hands Down!

groundwire

Jul 19, 2014
so i have been binge watching ham swap meets, antique radio swap meets and electronics swap meets on you tube and omg! all the ones i watched from basically the mid west to the west coast were like ebay swap meets. they are small to ok size at best, everything was extremely overpriced, alot of blown out, rusted gear that is basically shot or near it and just plain old junk, literally. alot of prices were just mind blowing and out of control lol and you hear in the videos alot of "well online they go for" or the typical "well on ebay they go for", pshh. now the ones i saw from the midwest to the east coast, especially the eastern seaboard, holy cow. they are huge, i mean like there all day huge. there were soooooo many beautiful antique radios, cb's, test gear etc at VERY fair prices up to mind blowing. i mean the things i was seeing had me falling out of my chair. also there is alot and i mean ALOT of radio and electronics equipment out there, its like a time capsule. the shortwave and antique radios were amazing and affordable. it makes me want to leave the NW and head east, seriously. you E coast guys are lucky, really. for the cb hobby and all other radio and electronics areas. the east coast has the biggest community and interest hands down. kudos!

Last edited:
Reactions: L2 and whiteastro

agreed.

as a life long west coaster, i can say that for the past 25 years swap meets around here have sucked.

maybe its because everyone moved from the east coast to retire out here and liquidated their stations before they left.

The city i live in has almost 3 million people in it, and our local ham club does a parking lot swap meet once a month.

it is downright depressing and makes you feel bad for the three guys sitting all day at a card table with 5 pieces of old MFJ gear for sale.
LC

Reactions: groundwire
i was thinking about it more, i think i might know why the eastern seaboard is such a great hot spot for very old collectable things like cars, signs, radio gear, petroliana, furniture, quaker items, and so on and so on. it seems like the people out there are old school, they come from a time when you took care of your things, repaired your things, pass them down thru the generations and folks would love and cherish these things for their lifetime (land included). now here on the west coast everyone is in a rush, to build, to destroy, to get places, to innovate, buy to re sell for profit etc. its the generation and mindset of these people to discard, destroy and scrap things. if you want one work for it, not lovingly inherit it from mom and dad, grandma or grandpa. i could be way off and over thinking this but it makes sense to me.

dont know but last hamfest i attended was a huge joke. mostly junk n wanted to steal my new in the box radio. couple radios i pined for was priced decent .i offered my radio n a franklin. seller went ballistic saying his was great n mine worth may $50 at the most. $189 radio. i said ok you let me see yours work but no mic i will trade you mine no mic ,he got even hotter. i walked away laughin at him. the hamfests are becoming like gun shows SHOW N TELL

Reactions: groundwire
The Dayton (Xenia?) Hamvention is on for this year. So far, at least.

And before it starts, ain't nothin' like it used to be, including Hamvention. Be there or be square.

I went last year...Good fest....pricing was pretty good, or they TOOK IT HOME...lots of gear sold at the 6m DX club booth...
Issue now is the club has had this group of booths since moved to Xenia...We had a member die (club trustee) and now DARA (HAMVENTION committee) wants to break up the cluster to earn more money. :mad: o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.