• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The new Kenwood TS-590SG

There is a problem with low average output power.
If you compare the 590 with other rigs you will see quite a difference in average power on any power meter.
The PEP is fine but the average SSB power certainly is not.
There is a problem with low average output power.
If you compare the 590 with other rigs you will see quite a difference in average power on any power meter.
The PEP is fine but the average SSB power certainly is not.

I'm not a needle watcher, but I do know that none of my rigs (Yaesu FTDX-3000, Icom IC-718, and Kenwood TS-520) consistently keep power output at 100 watts. It's more like 50-70, with peaks at 100. I would think that if PEP was satisfactory, then average output would be as well.

Here's a link to some of the best TS-590 info I've stumbled across:
http://www.w1aex.com/ts590s/ts590s.html

Brett

Prior to Kenwood offering the free ALC circuit redesign to existing radios to eliminate the power overshoot and implementing the redesign in production units, Kenwood first tried to minimize the overshoot in firmware version 1.02. Then Kenwood changed the ALC DC reference value in the alignment to try and reduce the overshoot further. The combination of the firmware and reference changes reduced the average output power when measured on an average meter. 20-30W average was the typical measurement. The radio would still show 100w output on a peak reading meter. After Kenwood redesigned the ALC circuit, the overshoot is gone and 45-50W is typical on a average reading meter.

Prior to Kenwood offering the free ALC circuit redesign to existing radios to eliminate the power overshoot and implementing the redesign in production units, Kenwood first tried to minimize the overshoot in firmware version 1.02. Then Kenwood changed the ALC DC reference value in the alignment to try and reduce the overshoot further. The combination of the firmware and reference changes reduced the average output power when measured on an average meter. 20-30W average was the typical measurement. The radio would still show 100w output on a peak reading meter. After Kenwood redesigned the ALC circuit, the overshoot is gone and 45-50W is typical on a average reading meter.

So would that not be considered "normal"?

Brett

Ok here is the results of my side by side comparisons with my icom 746 pro. The kenwood TS- 590 on 10 meters showed 92 watts on my peak reading meter and the Icom showed 80 watts. On air however the results are reversed The Icom continually gets signal reports 1 s point or more higher. No matter what I did with the mic setting the Kenwoods reports where lower. Checking with the meter on average does indeed show a much lower average power output on the Kenwood 590.Not that it is fault as such but a bit of a disappointment if you have just shelled out the cash. Ok not very scientific but it is what happened, read what ever you like into it!.
Anyway back on track. anyone got some reports on the new 590sg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned