• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

THE UNIDEN GRANT XL OWNERS CLUB ?

UGXLOC,

if you still talk to him, i know there are a few of us here that would really appreciate the chance to correspond with him and ask him a few questions.
even if just to get his opinion on some things.
thanks.
LC

Reactions: walterjn
Send me a message if you like.
I shut down the site many years ago for a few reasons. I see many of my old pages copied and pasted on other sites worldwide (Even some images I made). I take it as a compliment. - As I do this thread-

Sorry to all the folks that enjoyed the site for the sudden shutdown of UGXLOC.

If you toured the site and checked out my "bio", you'll remember that I'm a ham operator as well. Some of my time spent from then to now has been on ham freqs and SWL. I also received my commercial GROL radio license w/ radar endorsement right after the site shutdown.

I still own the XXXL- collecting dust up on the shelf however.

Send me a message if you like.
I shut down the site many years ago for a few reasons. I see many of my old pages copied and pasted on other sites worldwide (Even some images I made). I take it as a compliment. - As I do this thread-

Sorry to all the folks that enjoyed the site for the sudden shutdown of UGXLOC.

If you toured the site and checked out my "bio", you'll remember that I'm a ham operator as well. Some of my time spent from then to now has been on ham freqs and SWL. I also received my commercial GROL radio license w/ radar endorsement right after the site shutdown.

I still own the XXXL- collecting dust up on the shelf however.

Ill give you $500 for that radio. PM me please.

Uniden Grant XL Owners Club

This is my first time here, first a little about myself: I was into CB heavily in the 80's & 90's. I still have a decent little collection of radios packed up in the attic at my Dad's house. Almost 3 years ago, I started driving semi truck coast to coast, which slowly started getting me back into CB.

I just got into a different truck so I decided to take my Grant XL out of mothballs and start using it again. The only mic that I had wired up for it was an Astatic 575M6, which is pretty useless inside a noisy diesel cab, so I ordered the 636L, which was waiting here for me on my home-time.

I could've sworn I'd kept the Grant stock but low and behold, by differing it's Hi/Lo and Brt/Dim switches I have extra frequencies outside the normal 40 channels. (y) Both switches in the "Down" positions are the normal CB band. I found a local on SSB, I'm pretty sure my clarifier is still locked.

I know this is a longshot, but does anyone here have any idea how the extra bands in my Grant are set up? Unfortunately I can't seem to find my frequency counter in my Dad's attic. Once I'm scanning the band outside the regular 40 I have no idea where I'm at. :confused:

I'm guessing I bought the radio in the early to mids 90's and it was made in the Philippines. I fired it up in the truck and it's fantastic. It's controls feel so much better that the made in China Cobra 29 that I had been previously been using. It's receive is a lot better, yet it has far less backround/RFI interferrence noise.

Sorry for such a long post, any info would really be appreciated.
73's -Brew.

Last edited:
here is a diagram of what i believe to be the channel mod you have done to your grant XL.
it is the most common one.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblincoln43/Poormans_Conversion.gif

now, as for which switch on your radio is 1 and which is 2, thats up to you to figure out. LOL

have fun.

PS-back when you were into CB, did you do your own conversions or mods?
im asking because there is a mod to the receiver of this chassis that will make it even better than it already is.
replace one transistor and four diodes.
ill post the info if you are interested.

as far as i know, this mod originated with the Uniden Grant XL Owners Club.
LC

here is a diagram of what i believe to be the channel mod you have done to your grant XL.
it is the most common one.
http://www.cbtricks.com/members/cblincoln43/Poormans_Conversion.gif

now, as for which switch on your radio is 1 and which is 2, thats up to you to figure out. LOL

have fun.

PS-back when you were into CB, did you do your own conversions or mods?
im asking because there is a mod to the receiver of this chassis that will make it even better than it already is.
replace one transistor and four diodes.
ill post the info if you are interested.

as far as i know, this mod originated with the Uniden Grant XL Owners Club.
LC

Hi LC, thanks for the info!

I actually don't remember ever having the Grant modded.:blushing: but I do remember buying it new!:D If it's not too much trouble, please post the info you have on the receive mod.

I'm not even close to qualified to be inside a radio, but the only Tech I used back then was very, very good. He was involved on the development of the Chipswitch for the HR and Lincoln radios.

I was given a list of reputable techs here in another thread. I plan on getting my old President Jackson checked over, and while I'm at it, I'll have the tech check and see if my Grant has already had the receive mod done.

Thanks for your help!
-Brew

sure thing.

if you're planning on having a tech do the mod, just tell them to do the 2999 receive mod.
thats what most know it as.

basically what the mod does is replace the receive RF amplifier transistor with a lower noise part, and replaces the AM detector and noise blanker diodes with better ones.
the 2SC2999 transistor replaces Q14.
the diodes replace D1, D2, D21, and D22.

you can look in your radio for Q14 and see if its been replaced with a transistor that looks smaller than the others around it.
its near L4 L5 and L6.

you can buy kits with all the parts you need on ebay.
they are pretty cheap.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.