• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

They're here....finally......

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
A couple months back I ordered custom Amateur Radio call sign license plates for my Jeep Liberty. New Jersey being what it is, usually charges 50 bucks for custom plates, but for amateur radio operators, custom call sign plates are only $15.00......(I guess it's because we provide an emergency service to the community, or something like that)......

Also New Jersey being what it is, it took damn near two months for them to make the damn things, I ordered these things so long ago, I'd about given up on them ever getting here, then finally today our mailman dropped them into the mail box......

I was so happy, I ran around the corner to the hardware store and bought new stainless screws to mount them......
NewPlates2.jpg

NewPlates1.jpg

I ordered my Ham plates at the beginning of this month...I sure hope it doesn't take that long to get mine...After all, those guys stamping out plates don't have much else to do...I read that it only cost a couple of bucks for the Ham plates...Paid $22 for them...I guess that is what it means when anyone says 'a couple of bucks' anymore...Sigh...

Nice Rig ya got there.

Thanks 190

are those fishin poles permanent?

Oh no C2, they come out of those holders and catch fish, the one on the left is rigged for Tog, and the one on the right is rigged for Striped Bass.....(y)

Where and what kind of radio(s) did you install in your Liberty? I have one and it's one of the most radio unfriendly auto's I have ever seen.

You're absolutely right Park, the Liberty has got to be the most difficult vehicle I ever mounted a radio in, the hardest part is getting the coax and 12 volt wires through the firewall and into the passenger compartment. I mounted a Yaesu FT-2800M to the side of the tranny hump, put a Rat Shack cube speaker on the dash, and the mic hangs next to the CD player....

Are those Shimano reels?

HELL NO.....Penn Internationals baby, I never owned a Shit-mano reel in my life, seen too many of them fall apart with big fish on the other end of the line. I only use Penn and Fin~Nor reels Mole, and they get used hard, and put away wet.....:D

You're absolutely right Park, the Liberty has got to be the most difficult vehicle I ever mounted a radio in, the hardest part is getting the coax and 12 volt wires through the firewall and into the passenger compartment. I mounted a Yaesu FT-2800M to the side of the tranny hump, put a Rat Shack cube speaker on the dash, and the mic hangs next to the CD player....

That's the only place (y) Those Jeeps are built like tanks !

Where and what kind of radio(s) did you install in your Liberty? I have one and it's one of the most radio unfriendly auto's I have ever seen.

My Wrangler isn't so peachy either.

I got a remote face radio (857D) and put the brick/body of it under the driver's seat.

I had a flat space on top of the dash and bent a junction box cover about 80 degrees and mounted the faceplate to that.

Take a look at Lido mounts, HRO or AES has a rundown of them in their catalog. They have a ton of flex mounts for mounting the control heads of radios that make things a lot simpler.

http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/item/1478816/936041.htm

slide_IMG_0078.JPG

Try installing ANY radio in a chevy HHR! Almost impossible. I had to mount the galaxy 959 on the back of the passenger seat.

Try installing ANY radio in a chevy HHR! Almost impossible. I had to mount the galaxy 959 on the back of the passenger seat.

I thought about buying one of those, had they offered them in 4 wheel drive I might have chosen the HHR over the Liberty, after hearing a few horror stories about them I'm glad I went with the Jeep. It's a pain in the balls to mount a radio in, but it's been a damn good reliable all purpose vehicle, and the 4 wheel drive system hasn't failed me yet......

Funny thing......I've had those new plates on for a few days now, and my wife still hasn't noticed them yet.......:blink:

That's the combo I was gonna get, before I had some sanity drilled into me...

That's the combo I was gonna get, before I had some sanity drilled into me...

WX2MIG......?

Just curious C2, what relation to that combo do you have......?

I looked at W2MIG, W1MIG, N2MIG, and a few others but they were all taken.
I've always been a weather bug since I was a little kid and witnessed the great Ash Wednesday Nor'Easter storm of 1962 when the tide came in so high we had 4" of sea water in our house and had to relocate to our unheated attic until the water recited enough for my grandfather to come and rescue us.
Also being a avid fisherman, and surfer both activities are heavily dependent on the weather. Because of that and the fact that Wx has always been the abbreviation for weather, I looked at WX2MIG, it was available, I applied for it, and got it.
The MIG part is the first three letters in a long Italian last name, and has been a long standing nickname since childhood.

Just wondering what relation you have to the call, and why you decided against it......?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.