• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking about going ham.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I am getting a little tired of all the same old BS on the good ole cb and i am seriously considering getting my ticket. Last weekend i was on the LSB of ch 38 and heard some one from Sidney Australia. I tried my best to get back to him but with some fools on ssb who only live to piss people off that would not shut up long enough so that i could hear if he was calling me that just made me wanna go ham even more. I'm not worried about the test. I have taken 5 practice tests on line and passed all of them with out even looking at the book so i feel certain that after i do buy the book and study it for a while i will be able to pass my General class exam with no problems.

My question is what would be a good ham rig to buy for a first time ham that will be able to cover everything that a general licence holder could use?

What type of antenna would i need to cover all of the available frequencies that i would be legal to talk on, is there even one antenna that is that broad banded?

I know i have a lot to learn but i am ready to try. My collection of tube radios is now for sale to finance a new ham radio and the next exam will be done the 2nd of August.

I have just about had my fill of Cb radio!

Get yourself a ham license.
You will be happy you did.

If you can afford a new radio, the Yaesu FT-857D gives you practically everything you need for under $700. HF, 6m, 2m, 70cm, all mode operation and 100w output on HF & 6m, 50w on 2m and 20w on 70cm. Best value in ham radio transceivers.

I still like to catch up with the local crew on CB, but when the skip rolls in, I roll onto the ham bands.

Definitely get your license.

well if u are gonna run a base i would go with a kenwood 2000 an build ur self a 80m windom. that there u can cover 80 thru 6 meters if built right. and the one thing i suggest ids that even tho they dropped the code still learn it; it is a fun mode an u can talk around the world on 4 watts.. nothing like QRP CW on 40 an 20 meters.. ::::: mobile hf is fun also... get urself a 706 or the 857d an a opek htv400 an u are golden.

KM,

These guys are right on in their advice. With proper preparation, you should be able pass both exams in one sitting. You can take both at the same time for one fee ($14.00). You will have to take the Element 2 (Tech) first; if you pass it, ask for the Element 3 (Gen) and take it. Get the books and read and understand them. Keep taking the online tests @ Eham and QRZ. If you look in this section there is a posting on a Testing program that you can download for free. It is a good program to use as well. The day I took my exams I had all three testing softwares going at the same time shifting from one to another answering questions and checking scores to determine how well I was doing. You will find that if you read the material in the study books that the answers to questions will come easier to you because you have a better understanding of the theory and practice required.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

73's!

Wayne C.

Another FT-857D owner here and I also recommend it. It's a lot of bang for the buck and will let you get a taste of many operating modes.

When you figure out what you like best as far as bands and modes go, you can always get a more specialized rig later on....but any of those will be at least twice the price of the 857D and can easily be three or four times the price.

857D makes a great mobile rig too, particularly with an auto tuning antenna setup.

You'll still find jerks on the ham bands though, but there are fewer of them and it's the exception rather than the norm.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.