• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on building a Moxon

cjruger

Aug 13, 2012
Actually I already have a prototype made up from my wire dipole. I just folded the ends at 90 deg. use zip ties at 4" and made the reflector to proper length for ll meters. I set it up using wood stakes on the ground about 2 ft up and had a perfect match, however didnt get much but a couple local reports on it. I have a few thoughts and questons.
-How will this compare to my 5/8 groundplane antenns which seems to work great right now. not sure what gain it might have if any over the 5/8 and is a simple single element moxon an upgrade?
-can a moxon be used vertical is there an advantage to it over a 5/8 GP
-
I dont have a tower or and roof mount is out of the queston, trying to keep stealthy. current antenna is in a tree, thinking of trying Moxon in the tree about 20-30 ' up. It would be fixed to the Sor west for trial and as an alternative horizontal to my 5/8 vertical

Reactions: 357magnum

Not wanting to start an argument. But if both ant are vertical 1/2 an s point at best,and that is assuming they are at the same height. The big advantage is being able to turn away from noise and interference.

My Moxon could hear stuff quite strongly that wasn't even there on my Imax 2000. That and the >20dB F/B which will massively attenuate signals you don't want.

vkrules, as you correctly point out used vertically you'll see not a lot of difference. However horizontal antennas benefit from ground reflection gain which makes a huge difference. I'd not really bother with a vertical version.

cjruger they're definitely worth it. I used mine on 10m band in the CQ-WW-SSB contest and even at just over 20ft high worked China from the UK longpath with just 100W, a distance of over 18,000 miles. That weekend I had 502 contacts in 91 countries in just 16hrs of operating.

Cool, thanks. I made up a prototype moxon out of copper. 1/2" pipe. Testing in the ground about 6 ' up.with moderate dx conditions on am, I had several contacts from here in NY to New Mexico/Arizona/ California.
This thing is extrelt akward and hard to move around and my temporary testing mast(2x6x6') fell over 3 times now and is doing a number on the sumitro of the rectangle. I noticed a little bit out if evenness affects the swr..
The biggest setback i have is trying to keep it somewhat inconspicuous and able to rotate it. It might end up being something i have on a portable or take down mini boom for when I'm not using it

Cool, thanks. I made up a prototype moxon out of copper. 1/2" pipe
This thing is extrelt akward and hard to move around and my temporary testing mast(2x6x6') fell over 3 times now and is doing a number on the sumitro of the rectangle. /QUOTE]

Agree on using pipe as construction material. Father was a plumbing contractor, so everything we constructed was made from pipe. I used 3/4 EMT and it's far heavier than expected but very easy to assemble. I need to reenforce the feed point as its flexing more then I expected.

What did you use to gap the feedpoint??

well i wasnt sure what the gap was supposed to be so i took a block of wood and drilled a 5/8" hole in both ends and slid the pipes into that but that broke when it fell down so i machined up a plastic delrin round with 5/8" holes and mounted it like this with around a 1" gap between the ends

Last edited:
Reactions: mb91w126
The gap for the feedpoint isn't massively critical and 1" is fine. Interesting feedpoint construction there.

Im not impressed with testing of it. plus the copper is a bad idea, its too much flex and heavey. I need to find some aluminum tubing, any idea where to get it, Home depot does not have it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.