• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on the Ranger RCI-69FFB4

rickou812

Apr 9, 2014
N. Florida
What is the general consensus on the Ranger RCI-69FFB4?
On paper it looks like a hell of a radio. It is a AM/FM/SSB and can cover three bands, 10m/11m/and 12m.
I understand they have quite using the Toshiba transistors and now they are coming with Chinese equivalent transistors.

It is >$600.00 price tag. Is there better options for the money?

On paper it looks like a hell of a radio. It is a AM/FM/SSB and can cover three bands, 10m/11m/and 12m.
I understand they have quite using the Toshiba transistors and now they are coming with Chinese equivalent transistors.

An Alinco sr8t would smoke that radio as would a mirerid of other rigs for less money.

Reactions: 2 people
Dont waste your money I guarantee you wouldnt use have the useless addons it has that you are most certainly paying for in the overly price pricetag. I could set you up with way better for less money.

Ide sell ya one of my many HF Rigs and you would have 10 times the radio and you would have a real radio thats real quality built with REAL FILTERING and is a true radio and not a overly priced glorified piece of CB equipment. Stay away from this overpriced CB equipment. ;)

And the radios I have were all setup with optional filters and FM boards aswell as I would pre program it for what you want or need LOL!! Seriously dont mess with that money pit of a radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I could mix and match all kinds of better options with that budget.

First Option if you do not want to go with a HF radio:

Optima Mark III.
DX 500.

Second Option:
RCI 2950DX black face
DX 500.

The above radios have a much better feature set than the 6900.
Even more so if you like to play SSB.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the replies. Definitely insightful.
Is there a such a thing as "Do it all" radio.
I was also looking at the Kenwood TS-480, but now we are talking $$$..
It looks like it would be able to Rx and Tx on any freq.
I have a lot to learn, but was looking for something I could buy one time and grow into, and not ever have to say "Man I wish I could......"

Fishing in Kansas this weekend. Last night had some good "local" contacts.
Talked to Jeremy in Lincoln Kansas while sitting in the field near Osborne Kansas. I'm guessing 50 miles as a crow flies???

Optima mk3, cobra BlueTooth headset mic, TNT600 4 pill (dei2879s), 102" whip.

Very strong signal both directions. Talked for 45 minutes, half the time while driving.

Very impressed with Optima and TNT amp. The optima really drive it well at a 4 watt dead key setting. Amp was blowing out some hot air so had to turn down the rf power on the optima.

This setup will absolutely blow away the 69ffc4 radio, especially on ssb. It's not as pretty as the ranger but...?.?.

I live Texas star but the lack of a fan would have caused it to get too hot. The TNT has a huge fan blowing down on the board then sure flow is directed past the fins and out. Class B. Great for ssb.

That. Ranger is an AM screamer but I'm not a fan.

if ya like the style of that radio look at the galaxy 94 hp 98 vhp .both will perform
great and alot cheaper. add a texas star 1600 to either and you,ll have a 1kw setup
or other radios thats already been posted depends on what you want for features
and what u want.

Dual final radio with the options you want

High drive amp (2x2879 or 4x2879)

Keep the amp section separate from the radio

Stay with a high drive (no driver stage in the amp). They over-drive the final stage and they're not worth the small amount of increase in power.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.