• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on this antenna.

That was an old add about the coax length, I have improved the design and now it has minimal effect. It is a work in-progress.

Last edited:
are you serious? Please revise your question. Please think about what you are asking!

you state your antenna works on kirchhoff's first law as if its different or special,
please tell us any antenna that does not work on kirchhoff's first law?,

you tell us you can use any length coax but vswr will change with coax length so we should cut coax in 1/4wave multiples,

even multiples mirror the terminating impedance looking into the coax from the source end while odd multiples invert the terminating impedance, which do you suggest we use with your antenna and why?

why do you think vswr changes with coax length with your antenna design?

please revise your explanation of how you believe your antenna works, please be specific.

Most any antenna will work through an antenna tuner, assuming you don't mind the massive losses from using something only slightly better than a radiating dummy load that is a short stick on low frequencies.
Hell you could tune up a tree by pounding nails in it and making it into a monopole radiator.
Will it work? Yes. Would you be crazy to believe the claims? YES.

Only type of antenna that would work a good chunk of frequencies like that w/o a proper tuner would be a bicone or other discone variant resonate at full length of the lowest frequency of operation or even a fan dipole/monopole antenna and even then the results would be more pathetic than a proper dipole or 1/4 wave GP.
They work great for receiving though!

Sometimes I think I could make a small fortune off of gullible people by tying on a 50 ohm resistive load to the inside of a box with a coax input and run the hot end to a output banana jack and say that any length of wire will turn your rig into something that can cover 100kHz to 1000MHz.

Last edited:
What was the name of that thing?
You know, the bad part was the thing did 'work', and in a case or two, it didn't do all that badly. Knew of one instance where it was connected to the back-stay of a sail boat. It did better than what he was using before, but certainly not 'well'. Everybody just thought it was because of the boat, etc, etc. When the 'joke' was found out, everybody sort of thought, "I knew it couldn't be true". Oh well...
- 'Doc

you state your antenna works on kirchhoff's first law as if its different or special,
please tell us any antenna that does not work on kirchhoff's first law?,

you tell us you can use any length coax but vswr will change with coax length so we should cut coax in 1/4wave multiples,

even multiples mirror the terminating impedance looking into the coax from the source end while odd multiples invert the terminating impedance, which do you suggest we use with your antenna and why?

why do you think vswr changes with coax length with your antenna design?

please revise your explanation of how you believe your antenna works, please be specific.

Are you going to answer the man's question?

Jeff

Actually, what I was wondering is I looked up ka6div on the ham call sign lookup page and, am I reading that right? Novice? Wow, don't see to many of those anymore.

I'm not saying that it is a bad thing the license was never upgraded, but it's the first time I've seen a novice license in the database in years...

The DB

First two obvious things that come to mind..

1 ...1 S unit is 6 db not 3.

2..let's say we are all idiots and know nothing about antennas to even think your antenna "dummy load" is valid.

You claim a 5 s unit increase from an unstated "antenna" ..what was this...a paperclip ?

You claim a 15 db gain " 5 s units would be 30db".
But also state might not perform as well as a 1/4 wave antenna.

Antenna gain is either dbi "gain over a 1/4 wave"...or dbd "gain over a dipole".

You clearly state less then a 1/4 wave so negative dbi gain.

So what we would like to know is db gain over what?.

What equipment was used to measure the reading at the receiving station. When was it's last calibration?

What frequency was used ?

We're elevation angles took into consideration?

How do you justify 500$ for a 23 foot pole .
MFj 43 foot pole with heavy duty balun is cheaper priced without ridiculous gain claims .

What matching is used with these "antenna".

And when it comes to loading up trees I find pine trees work the best here n Texas "results will vary ".

The antenna is no different. It is what it is, an antenna.
The coax length on this antenna does not change the SWR reading much as that was a older version antenna and is now improved. Any antenna will look good with a long coax as the longer cable has more losses and will "hide" the SWR reading.

Are you going to answer the man's question?

Jeff

The antenna is no different. It is what it is, an antenna.
The coax length on this antenna does not change the SWR reading much as that was a older version antenna and is now improved. Any antenna will look good with a long coax as the longer cable has more losses and will "hide" the SWR reading.

Thank you!

First two obvious things that come to mind..

1 ...1 S unit is 6 db not 3.

2..let's say we are all idiots and know nothing about antennas to even think your antenna "dummy load" is valid.

You claim a 5 s unit increase from an unstated "antenna" ..what was this...a paperclip ?

You claim a 15 db gain " 5 s units would be 30db".
But also state might not perform as well as a 1/4 wave antenna.

Antenna gain is either dbi "gain over a 1/4 wave"...or dbd "gain over a dipole".

You clearly state less then a 1/4 wave so negative dbi gain.

So what we would like to know is db gain over what?.

What equipment was used to measure the reading at the receiving station. When was it's last calibration?

What frequency was used ?

We're elevation angles took into consideration?

How do you justify 500$ for a 23 foot pole .
MFj 43 foot pole with heavy duty balun is cheaper priced without ridiculous gain claims .

What matching is used with these "antenna".

And when it comes to loading up trees I find pine trees work the best here n Texas "results will vary ".

Thank you for the correction on the S unit db. I some times get the formulas mixed up. No the antenna I used to compare with was not a paper clip. I do not want to drop name brands for fear of lawsuit for degrading another competitors product. The antennas out there are 2 name brands that claim 80m through 6m. Priced between $250 and $500. With a fiberglass version. I bought one to compare it with just to see. The test was on 10m.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.