• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Three digit call signs?

tinkering tom

Mar 27, 2012
I'm new to radio, I listen quite often and trying to learn. My truck CB has been picking up a lot of DX and I notice I only hear 3 digit call signs, when I try to ask someone how they got a 3 digit call sign they ask me what I mean, then they never respond? I'm thinking they might realize their bleeding onto 11 meter and tighten their bandwidth, but they never have had the courtesy to explain before doing so. And besides can't you DX on 11 Meter with all the solar flux going on?

typically if you hear say unit 123 then nobody gave them the callsign. They just made it up off the top of their head. its just a number to distinguish themselves from all the other jims, daves, and roberts, on the radio.
if you hear say 2WR123 then the WR 11 meter club has agreed that they can use that number and sometimes deliver postcards through that club rather than hire an expensive post office box.
the 2 corresponds to usa in the 11 meter division listings which are available on google.
11 meters can often be noisier than a pig sty so i wouldnt worry too much about everyone talking over one another.

Thank you for your quick response. This makes sense. I figured it may have been a "club thing" but I was not sure. Thanks again for your answer.

Thank you for your quick response. This makes sense. I figured it may have been a "club thing" but I was not sure. Thanks again for your answer.

It could also be a Club Call. But there can only be 999 numbers. Then it spills over to 4 digits.

Club Calls always contain the Club. Like: Kilo Papa 553. This station would never say just 553

When you ONLY hear numbers.... that is a made-up number. SSB numbers in that way are just like AM Handles. You just make something up.

I'm new to radio, I listen quite often and trying to learn. My truck CB has been picking up a lot of DX and I notice I only hear 3 digit call signs, when I try to ask someone how they got a 3 digit call sign they ask me what I mean, then they never respond? I'm thinking they might realize their bleeding onto 11 meter and tighten their bandwidth, but they never have had the courtesy to explain before doing so. And besides can't you DX on 11 Meter with all the solar flux going on?

They are not call signs, just numbers made up for talking DX. It's easier to pick out a 344 in skip than 296336990!

In my case, I was part of a SSB club that met on chXX, I forgot which one, every wednesday night or so. I joined 15 years ago, and they "assigned" me my numbers, I used to go by the whole sign "6∆xxx", but now only use the 3 digit number when I am shooting DX on ssb. 73's and welcome to a fun hobby!!

Maybe it's me but I only acknowledge amateur radio call signs in this fashion.
If 344 was a pizza, then I would have eaten it and fell asleep on the couch.

LOL exactly. Call signs are assigned to licensed stations. Anything else is just a made up ID number although most people call them call signs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.