• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tight buget base antenna

TVI is a serious concern of mine since we live in a rowhome

filter is just too out of the "toy"buget for now

im not going to be running any kind of heat right now....just the tuned up melaka so i should be ok on that front

im leaning more and more towards the maco if i dont build my own

scott

bioman said:
TVI is a serious concern of mine since we live in a rowhome

filter is just too out of the "toy"buget for now

im not going to be running any kind of heat right now....just the tuned up melaka so i should be ok on that front

im leaning more and more towards the maco if i dont build my own

scott

Good Luck to you in whatever decision you make.
73's

"For a "tight budget base antenna" I would definitely recommend the A-99 with the GPK."

with a properly aligned transmitter and the feedpoint of the A99/GPK-1 at least a wavelength above ground harmonic related TVI is not a problem, not even at increased power levels. without the GPK-1 at reduced heights then interference may pose a problem.

I agree with Freecell. I use an A99 without a groundplane kit in a tree about 55 feet up - no TVI. I do use a lowpass filter for certain frequencies and certain channels with one of my splatterbox amps. But that is another issue.

If the radio/amp combo does is clean and does not splatter, you should be ok.

BTW - a good lowpass filter can be had cheap on ebay. I got his one for 99 cents:

Up and away is the way to go, to close to the TV sets and RF overload will occurs, and there is nothing you can do about that.

26_1.JPG

well if you using a99/imax there is things you can do other than filter. although filter helps with TVI. it wont stop RFI caused from antenna mast radiating or CMC on the coax.

but isolating the mast with a short pice of fibreglass and a air choke or better a coax ballun choke. will get rid of these other things. but not on a budget.

bioman, Scott,

I have the maco 58 and love it, It is only at 7ft to feedpoint and I talk all over like Lancaster,York,Gettysburg,Reading, you get the picture. If you can swing it go for the maco 58 and at 36 ft would be alsome ;) .

I cant wait to get mine up that high :D .

AP, Roger

For the money ? MACO ALPHA V-5/8 (80.00) SPECTRUM 1600 (90.00) IMAX 2000 (75.00) SOLARCON/ANTRON 99 (50.00) WITH GROUND PLANE (75.00) STARDUSTER COPY M-400 (45.00)

ive seen the m-400 copies as well

if i just cant5 find the cash for the maco what do you guys think of those??

my dad had a starduster back in the 70s and he said he loved it up until he got his beam

scott

Hi:
Get a 3 Element Beam,mounted Horizontal,you will get rid of TVI+you will be able to talk Skip Better than using a Omni.
You can place the Beam close to your roof if you want to hide it.
I use one years ago in a very uptight HOA,my home was 1 story high but have a tall parapet all around with flat roof,nobody could see the antenna from the ground,and I was able to point my beam anywhere where the skip was coming.

Tecnicoloco
73 de

just wanted to let everybody know i bought the sigma 5/8 antenna today

probably going to go about 10 foot off of the roof with it

i sold an old guitar i had on ebay and ended up with some "play" money so i bought the antenna a freq counter for the melaka im getting from dillion and im bidding on a D-104 on ebay

expect pics once i get everything set up

scott

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.