• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TILT TOWER DIS-ASSEMBLY

hwp3397

Jun 5, 2023
Auction.....Went to auction....Ham collector.. Ptuchased Yaesu Gx-1000 Rotor and controller. Another person bought Beam.We took both down together..I acquired Tower FREE... I will add pictures when I return...70 miles away.. Tower is galvanized steel......3 25 ' sections..Hugh lower structure... We tilted down to remove Beam . Rotor...I need to remove.. Do I first slide out inner top section? Followed by Middle section.Then unbolt lowest section? Last remove base.
Looking for someone to talk me thru this..I need to return for pictures. Thank You.
PS I plan to rebuild..

FRANK

Reactions: Naysayer

Three pictures...

Attachments

• DSC07594.JPG
    DSC07594.JPG
    549.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC07590.JPG
    DSC07590.JPG
    592.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC07600.JPG
    DSC07600.JPG
    616.3 KB · Views: 60
I'm thinking of sliding both upper sections out.. Then I have a heavy gin pole from satellite days. Attach to base tower..Use hoist to lower lowest section off base..

TAKE BUNCHES of pictures on the Cabling of those sections...it will all need to be restrung to make the tower telescope up/down! Tilt-Up/Dwn... Plus the Stops and Brake locations where sections "Lock" into place...Take some restoration $$$(new cabling/paint/pully's etc... but nice find...those set-ups are out of site cost wise nowadays $$$ you're looking at a set-up NEW Cost like $10K-$20K depending on size and height/Electric or Manual wenches etc...
Look for any Numbers or codes stamped in those sections and base...may help track down whom and when made...so to determine specs.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I would not take it apart. It's designed to stay together. My neighbor has a 55' crank up & we loaded it onto a trailer by hand (4 guys) & we brought it down Interstate 95 from Daytona Beach,Florida to Macclenny,Florida with no issues. It's a great tower & he has a Mosley PRO-67B & an M2 6M7JHV yagi on it with the Orion rotor & it looks SWEET.. Remember that you NEVER Climb a crank up tower. It could cost you your hands,feet,or life if it drops even a small amount with you on it.

I'm thinking of sliding both upper sections out.. Then I have a heavy gin pole from satellite days. Attach to base tower..Use hoist to lower lowest section off base..
Yesterday I cleaned vines off horizontal sections... Removed short top piece.. Removed some wire guides. Took can of blue spray paint...Painted one side about a foot wide. So I put back as original. I found lock at bottom..Stop at top.... I got 2 2x12 .
Supported end of largest piece.. I studied path of crank up cable... Un bolted 3 clamps at end of cable. Retracted cable onto
old but HD Winch.. Manual. Pulled smallest inner section out.
Supported end with 2x12... Gave final tug. Inner piece is flat on ground...Pulled with 3/8 rope 20' away... Stopped with lightning storm rolling in.. So far I see no markings ...Or numbers..
I have collected parts from the previous tower..
This tower is a 75' tilt tower.. Earlier was 55' .I agree..Never climb this when erect. I do plan to repaint. Replace with new cable.. New pulley s also. Hopefully I can find a diagram to re string the cable...
Maybe a Rohn 75' crank up manual has similar cabling.. I will take photos today of tilt up cable..OK.OK.Thanks.
DSC07621.JPG

Last edited:
I'm no rocket scientist....But I think I can figure the path the cable goes to lift this.

However if anyone has a diagram or instruction sheet, I'm interested to read.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.