• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Today is the day.....

Ok. Silly question Im sure but anyway,

I noticed today playing around on 27.455 LSB that my power meter was acting funny. On regular AM I dead key about 200w and swing to 450-500w. There is no dead key power reading on LSB due to there being no carrier on LSB Im assuming. I did notice however that my power meter only swings to about 250-300w when broadcasting on LSB. Is this normal? I was under the impression that LSB would give higher power readings due to the fact that you were driving the amp with 3x the wattage (ie 12w instead of 4w). Im curious as to what is causing this. Is there a problem with my equipment or setup or is this normal?

ExitThirteen man, if youre out there Im not getting you. been trying since about 4pm EST.

I'm out there listening, haven't heard anything... conditions aren't real good, not favoring the East very well. I'm getting a little DX from the South (of the border) but that's about it. :(

~Cheers~

On regular AM I dead key about 200w and swing to 450-500w. There is no dead key power reading on LSB due to there being no carrier on LSB Im assuming. I did notice however that my power meter only swings to about 250-300w when broadcasting on LSB. Is this normal? I was under the impression that LSB would give higher power readings due to the fact that you were driving the amp with 3x the wattage (ie 12w instead of 4w). Im curious as to what is causing this. Is there a problem with my equipment or setup or is this normal?

Well I am willing to bet you are reading it incorrectly, maybe on the AVG setting, you should really reading it with a peak holding meter, or read it with a solid tone of some sort

The meter has an avg and a peak switch. Im reading it on the peak setting just talking normally in to the mike. On am with the meter set on peak it swings to roughly 450-500 watts which is what I would expect from this amp on this set up. On LSB though on peak setting it is only hitting around 250-300 watts when talking in a normal QSO type voice.

An SSB signal contains multiple frequency tones all of which power is divided among all the frequencies. To see a proper PEP peak, simply whistle into the mic, or provide a single-tone signal.

The meter has an avg and a peak switch. Im reading it on the peak setting just talking normally in to the mike. On am with the meter set on peak it swings to roughly 450-500 watts which is what I would expect from this amp on this set up. On LSB though on peak setting it is only hitting around 250-300 watts when talking in a normal QSO type voice.

If the meter does not require a power source other than to light up then it is not a true peak reading meter. A LOT of meters that have avg and pep positions are that way. To truly read pep you need a powered RF sampling circuit and meter driver circuit. What meter are you using to measure the power?

Edit: Just noticed you are using the Astatic 600 swr/power/modulation meter. That is NOT a true peak reading meter. The power supply is just for the meter lamps. it will read anywhere from 25-40% low or more depending on your voice characteristics.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. You guys are all great and I value your opinions. I never knew this hobby would be so technical. I guess I thought you just bought a radio and turned it on lol. Looks like I have a long way to go on mastering this hobby. Now if I could just solve my latest problem with my SWR id be happy lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.