• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Took the technician test today

Gearhead

Feb 4, 2007
I passed:) I had thought about doing it for a long time, and some friends recently told me I should try, so last night I got on QRZ.com, and did the practice tests. I found out that the next test opportunity would be this morning, so I did it. Didn't miss any, and even tried going for general, but didn't do so good on that. Now I gotta find a radio:glare:

Congrats!(y)

Now study some more for the "General" and while you are looking for a rig think HF/VHF/UHF so that when you get the added privileges you'll be all set.;) Be prepared to spend a few bucks as well. Of course you can sell some of your other radio stuff to get your toes alittle wetter in the Amateur pond.

Wayne C.

Gearhead,
My congratulations too! Don't quit on a winning streak, do the general and extra, why not (don't have to remember all them sub-band edges then)?
Just too many different things to try so won't tell you to try this-n-that. A few of those 'other' modes are addictive. Who cares, have fun.
- 'Doc

Thanks guys. I'm not sure what type of radio I want to get, but I know I can't spend a ton of money. I pretty much have to sell some CB stuff to buy a radio. I just can't decide what to give up!, lol. The total money I have in CB, I could have had a REALLY NICE ham rig. I'm still keeping my base stations, and my mobiles that I use, but I have a few on the shelf I could part with, though.

Probably the best advice anyone can give you about which radio to get is to take your time deciding. Didn't say 'easiest', but it is the 'best' advice, same for selling ones you have now.
The used market is an alternative. And the same with buying anything used, be careful.

Not really telling you anything 'new' am I? Oh well, just a reminder.
- 'Doc

(and naturally, if you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! :))

Congrats (y) now get yourself a radio setup shoot me your callsign when its assigned and Ill pass it on to my kids and they can listen for you on 10 meters or we can setup a time to get on and talk.

Cool. I was listening to 10 meters the other night, and noticed the only things different about it than CB, is the call signs, and that people don't walk all over each other, lol. (and the language)

as far as looking for (used) equipment goes, you may want to find and join a local club. after you get to know some local HAMS you can get much better deals on equip and also have some confidence in the seller.

even if you don't want to buy equipment, a local club is a good idea. you can get lots of help and meet some nice people too.

Congratulations ! You'll find it fun being able to get out on the air with a lot more selection . I'm getting the itch to get back on HF . I have spent most of the time on CB talking to local friends and 10m since I just moved . I have to get my wire antenna up now . Have fun !

Got my call sign yesterday. KC9OSX I've been traveling the last week, so the wait wasn't that bad. My father in law passed away on his vacation in florida, and I flew down there to drive the RV back to PA. Some of you might remember my thread in the antenna forum about installing in a motorhome.

hmm... "King Charley's 9 Orange-Squeez'n-Xperts"? ... "King Charles' 9 Old Silver Xylophones"? ... not bad!
- 'Doc

(gotta have 'good' phonetics so you can remember it, right?)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.