• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top-Earning Dead Celebrities? Cobain, Elvis

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
By Forbes.com

A nail in the casket is hardly the end for some stars. Instead, their work, as well as their iconic images, continues to appeal to fans who remember them and to those born long after they died.

The 13 icons on Forbes' sixth annual Top-Earning Dead Celebrities list collectively earned $247 million in the past 12 months. Their estates continue to make money by inking deals involving both their work and the rights to use their name and likenesses on merchandise and marketing campaigns. To land on this year's list, a star needed to make at least $7 million between October 2005 and October 2006.

How does a posthumous star land, and stay, on the list? Solitary events -- a successful film release or an estate sale, for example -- won't necessarily do it over the long term. Staying power comes from a body of work or simply an iconic image with long-lasting appeal. Elvis Presley has both, which has kept the King at or near the top of the list every year. And last year, entertainment mogul Robert Sillerman's CKX (CKXE, news, msgs) paid $100 million for an 85% share of Presley's estate.

But a one-off event can catapult a star onto the list -- or, in the case of Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain, to the top. While his music continues to sell, his debut atop the list is largely due to his widow, Courtney Love, who sold a 25% stake in his song catalog to publishing company Primary Wave for a reported $50 million. Thanks to this deal, audiences will hear much more of the angst-ridden rocker as his library graces the big and small screens. And in a turn the rock star likely never imagined in his lifetime, his music may one day be used in advertising campaigns.

Other stars' fortunes fluctuate a bit depending on how active their handlers have been in the past year: Two albums by music legend Johnny Cash were released this year, and Bob Marley's team continues to find new ways to repackage his reggae catalog. Former Beatle John Lennon could see a significant increase in income in coming years: His widow, Yoko Ono, is involved in two lawsuits against record label EMI Group for unpaid royalties.

Looking ahead, the future looks bright for late-night legend Johnny Carson, whose personal library of 4,000-plus "Tonight Show" hours could make millions in the YouTube era. Sadly for his fans, and his estate's finances, fewer than 20 hours have been released thus far.

Of course with emerging technology, the public will likely get an opportunity to hear, and see, a lot more of many deceased stars, often as they've never been seen before. Already, voice modeling and computer-generated imaging can bring posthumous stars back to provide authentic performances for video games, films and advertisements. You need only flip on the television to see Audrey Hepburn dancing about in the Gap's skinny-black-pants advertising campaign.

Here are the lucky 13:
-------------------------
No. 1, Kurt Cobain
Earnings: $50 million

Died: April 5, 1994

Cause of death: suicide
------------------------
No. 2, Elvis Presley
Earnings: $42 million

Died: Aug. 16, 1977

Cause of death: heart attack
----------------------------
No. 3, Charles M. Schulz
Earnings: $35 million

Died: Feb. 12, 2000

Cause of death: cancer
--------------------------
No. 4, John Lennon
Earnings: $24 million

Died: Dec. 8, 1980

Cause of death: murder
------------------------
No. 5, Albert Einstein
Earnings: $20 million

Died: April 18, 1955

Cause of death: natural causes
-------------------------------
No. 6, Andy Warhol
Earnings: $19 million

Died: Feb 22, 1987

Cause of death: complications of a gallbladder operation
------------------------------------------------------
No. 7, Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)
Earnings: $10 million

Died: Sept. 24, 1991

Cause of death: natural causes
-------------------------------
No. 8, Ray Charles
Earnings: $10 million

Died: June 10, 2004

Cause of death: liver disease
----------------------------
No. 9, Marilyn Monroe
Earnings: $8 million

Died: Aug. 5, 1962

Cause of death: overdose of sleeping pills
------------------------------------------
No. 10, Johnny Cash
Earnings: $8 million

Died: Sept. 12, 2003

Cause of death: complications of diabetes
-----------------------------------------
No. 11, J.R.R. Tolkien
Earnings: $7 million

Died: Sept. 2, 1973

Cause of death: bleeding ulcer
------------------------------
No. 12, George Harrison

Died: Nov. 29, 2001

------------------------
No. 13, Bob Marley

Died: May 11, 1981

-------------------------

By Lacey Rose, Forbes.com

Cobains murderer sold a 25% share of his library....Thats how he is on the list and Einstein is reaping the benefits of "Little Einstein". The rest pretty much speak for themselves

frmboybuck said:
Cobains murderer sold a 25% share of his library....Thats how he is on the list and Einstein is reaping the benefits of "Little Einstein". The rest pretty much speak for themselves

Are you accusing Courtney Love of being a murderess???

Kurt Cobain is probably one of the greatest musicians ever! But no one really listened to him until AFTER he was dead. And I don't believe Courtney Love killed him. I have his autobiography and he seemed like the person to kill himself.

dway87 said:
Kurt Cobain is probably one of the greatest musicians ever! But no one really listened to him until AFTER he was dead. And I don't believe Courtney Love killed him. I have his autobiography and he seemed like the person to kill himself.
................I agree, and all you have to do is listen to the words in some of the songs he wrote.....especially towards the end of his life. I was and still am a fan, from the start...Nirvana paved the way for other great Seattle(sp?) "grunge" bands such as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains,ect...to fame.

Nirvana unplugged tells it all , if you couldn't "feel" his pain in his words you don't know music at all !! Songs like Somethings in the way and Where did you sleep last night , where just down right chilling !! this dude was on his way out for sure , I hope Cortney can get here $hit together someday if she already hasn't ? (I haven't been up on her of late) She's a very good talent period when she can somehow keep her s$hit together .......Do I think she added to Curt's pain ? You bet your a$$ !! but she didn't kill him ,far from it !! His out look on life did .

Unit 194 said:
frmboybuck said:

Are you accusing Courtney Love of being a murderess???

Ultimately....YES. While Cobain was a great artist....Lane Staley was even better. Its sad to see such great talent come to an end

GREAT TALENT IS IN THE EYE'S AND MINDS OF THE BEHOLDERS . I honestly don't think Nivana and Cobain were the greatest , they had there moments in musical history , unfortunately , depression ,sadness , and confusion (the blues) can make for some serious writting and words repeted for others to relate to and or feel . Morrison , Joplin , Hendrix , Staley , , some that didn't bite the bullet as of yet before they made it to 30 , Vetter , Whalen , ect. ect. ect. as I said , these folks have all left there marks in the music industry , not to long ago someone said they never liked or couldn't stand the Rolling Stones .......I thought to myself , where was this 40 something year old coming from ??? 40 some years in the business and still going fairly strong today !! I truly found it hard to believe what I was hearing this dude say !! ?? I felt that would be something like me saying that I didn't like Elvis !!! which would be far from the truth !! I like all music for the most part , there is a talent of some kind in all of it , the question is ? can you find it or do you even care to find it ? to each his or her own. I was never much on rap over the years but there was still a place for it , there were a chosen few that helped me understand what it was about after a while , some old school and even the newer with some of Eminem's stuff .....like Cobain and his pain and confusion on the way out of his very short lived life ........Eminem let me "feel" what Lose Yourself was all about for him. GREAT TALENT IS IN THE EYE'S AND MINDS OF THE BEHOLDERS

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.