• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tower climbing

just to think all this 60' of climbing for free for a friend and for a 2 meter antenna...

lordsontower.jpg

If HE had wanted me to get that far off the ground, on a tower, HE would have made my legs a lot longer than they are! I've 'crimped' too many of them tower legs hanging on to them...
- 'Doc

I'm looking at the "safety" belt. #1 it is connected to the small brace instead of a leg,not real good. #2 it is connected BELOW his feet. Definately NOT good. #3 Is the safety lanyard actually positioned between his feet? See the back of his legs? :shock: Think about where that lanyard will catch up if he slipped and fell. :shock: :LOL:

QRN said:
I'm looking at the "safety" belt. #1 it is connected to the small brace instead of a leg,not real good. #2 it is connected BELOW his feet. Definately NOT good. #3 Is the safety lanyard actually positioned between his feet? See the back of his legs? :shock: Think about where that lanyard will catch up if he slipped and fell. :shock: :LOL:

yep belt was below me......not a worry
and no slipping and falling 60' in the air....no room for a that..lol

The last time I climbed a tower I used a Full Harness with a shock absorbing lanyard. All it takes is one miss placed step, and that belt will break your back if that is a solid lanyard. I knew a guy that lost his life because he did not anchor his safety rig properly, don`t kid yourself, it happens.

Jeff

also, if you're not using a shock absorbing lanyard, the forces created by your fall are tremendous, like 5000 pounds, more if the lanyard is tied off below you. When i tie off to something, I want it to be able to hold my truck. That tower isn't going to hold my truck. And yes, safety belts can hurt you badly. i would definitely recommend a full body harness. Not really that expensive, and if you do fall, you will be glad you spent the money. Just my opinion from 12 years industrial construction

lords said:
yep belt was below me......not a worry
and no slipping and falling 60' in the air....no room for a that..lol

That was you in the picture? I missed that somewhere. I mentioned about the anchor point being so low because if a fall did happen,don't say it won't, the forces would be tremendous on the back.I started climbing with a miners safety belt,not good but it is all I had as a tenager. When I got married I bought a nice safety belt with a seat harness from ONV Safety in New Jersey.The harness is a God's send for taking the weight off your feet a bit. After the kids came along I bought a full body harness to go along WITH the belt.Funny how one's perspective changes as more people become dependant on you. ;) Now I climb with one gorilla hook secure at all times.I have two,each with it's own lanyard.It's slower that way but a lot safer.When into position I fasten the safety belt and sit back for the long run.

well the first part of safety is,you can't be scared of high places..
I am 45 years old and weigh 170 pounds 5% fat well fit...and am careful in life I paint and carry fully extended ladders all day 32-40 foot walking them around...I understand all concern about this and yes there are safer ways...I have 6 kids all in school elsewhere :)
I still jump off 15 foot roofs and across 5-8 foot spaces up high
I know its a chance in life...but your only here once ...do it good :)(it keeps me in shape!)
I have done about 100 towers my highest one was 80 foot...(last year) I do admit i did climb that slowly as it was windy and needed full centered balance :) I have in my life had no problem landing as i am like a cat and can direct my force if needed...now if i didn't know this, i wouldn't be doing this...believe me, it's not for fun
My arms are like rocks when needed. I can do about 50 handstand push ups and do keep in shape everyday I am not bragging about this just stating a fact...fit and carefulness is the main goal....

Lost a good friend 3 weeks ago. I lived next to them and worked with his dad. He was 19 strong as a ox and loved to climb. This was his first job and he was working on cell phone towers. Fell 80 ft on a 150 ft tower and died as soon as his buddies got to him. They said he took 2 breaths and died in there laps. He died doing what he loved but as Beatle said he is still dead. They used two hooks and his buddies said he was hooking all the way up. Must have missed one. Rest in peace Nick Fischer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.