• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower's up...

when I did my A99 with GPK I isolated the antenna from the mast, then did a 5 turn, 4.25 internal diameter coax choke...

it lowered the noise level, lowered the SWR and helped with receive

Reactions: 1 person
when I did my A99 with GPK I isolated the antenna from the mast, then did a 5 turn, 4.25 internal diameter coax choke...

it lowered the noise level, lowered the SWR and helped with receive

That will most likely fix whip's issue also.

555...i definitely hears ya on that one :)
soon as the cash or time comes available i'm on that like bees on honey

the choke is an easy fix to try, isolating from the mast will have to wait until spring, it got a lot colder and whiter here the past couple of days :) thanx fx and mack

so for the heck of it i attached the 259B today cuz i was getting some rx surging on the 2995. the winds are up but no where near crazy and damn.....i'm watching this a99 bounce from a nice 1.3 up to 3.7? i could understand that if it was right bent over, but it's only doing about a 5° bend on the top 3rd....that seems pretty frickin' extreme

me thinks a99 = :oops:

so for the heck of it i attached the 259B today cuz i was getting some rx surging on the 2995. the winds are up but no where near crazy and damn.....i'm watching this a99 bounce from a nice 1.3 up to 3.7? i could understand that if it was right bent over, but it's only doing about a 5° bend on the top 3rd....that seems pretty frickin' extreme

Thats not good, there is a break there somewhere.

Naw, it isn't the A99 that is shifting its SWR.
Prolly the cable ends. Since you have a 259B, disconnect the coax from the feedpoint of the antenna and hook it up to the 259B and set the function to coax test. As you prolly know, the 259B can also test coax - but it must be done w/o an antenna hooked up. I say it is a problem with the coax - that's my guess.

Not saying you are wrong either. It could be changing its SWR that much. But for that matter, if you were to use a different antenna and it bent over as much, it would probably give the same SWR's too. All I'm saying is 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water' is all.

Of course, I would also wait for the wind to calm before ya go climbing up there . . .

Last edited:
Hopefully tomorrow will be calmer... :)

I checked the coax before the initial install Robb but I'll def. check it again when I do the choke. I'm sure worse things have happened during an install. The choke may not fix the other problem completely but i don't think it can hurt to add one. I haven't had any complaints....(yet)....but i'd prefer to avoid that situation before it even arises lol. According to IC anything under a 1.83 match ain't my problem so I can tell any complainants to remedy things on their dime :) I also want to get it perfectly straight and I think one of the radials might be grazing the mast...so another inch up and sitting at 12 o'clock. If possible, and i have the goods around maybe i'll get her isolated too

Someone recommended running the coax down thru the center of the tower legs, so I did that on the original install....I think i'm gonna change that up too, run it down the exterior. Everywhere i look and see pro-installations i see it on the exterior. Still looking for a suitable box for the arrestors too :) I gotta retire, this hobby has become a full-time obsession!!!!

cheers all and again, much thanks for comments and opinions :)

so i finally got the tower up New Years Eve day...and survived it :)

A99 w/gpk on
question regarding a coaxchoke...will it reduce the noise level at the radio? both bases just seem a lot noisier than the mobile. Seems much harder to decipher voices...or are the rci radios just naturally magnets for hiss

thanx

Is your shack in the room with the balcony door?

So, did you ever solve or identify your noise issue? You mentioned running a ground wire, but your shack is on the second floor which poses a problem with proper grounding.

If you still have the noise, can you post a recording of it?

I haven't yet no, but I don't get near the same thing on my FT-950
I think it's just the nature of the RCIs...i've got it on the 2995, i've passed on the 2985 the new owner get's it at his qth as well as on his 2950. The radios just seem to be magnets for white noise lol. And still running a vert noise stick lol.

Ya, i'm still trying to figure the best way to run everything to the 2nd floor, and tho it could be done i don't see it being pretty in the end ;) I don't wanna run a box on the side of the house or have a shytload of cables running through the brick/mortar so I'm pretty sure that once the basement get's figured out that will end up being my best solution. 1 piece of 2" or 3" white pvc down into the ground and thru the concrete, nice and clean. The view isn't as nice (great being able to open the balcony door or the window and have the sunshine pour in along with a nice spring breeze), but ya do what you gotta do i guess :) Spring is coming so things will be progressing soon, bathroom construction beginning in the next few weeks and if the guy does a good job there i'll have him frame the rest of the basement up, get things rolling around here. lol

Thanx for asking after things tho, def. appreciate the follow up :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.