• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram d 201 ???

While hams have been modifying CB's to go 10M since the early 70's, technically it IS illegal. Unless the FCC changed the regs in recent years, it's illegal to modify FCC type accepted radio (in this case, a CB, as it's FCC type accepted under part 95 and part 15) out of band.

The Tram D201(A) isn't really worth modifying, even though it is possible. They are a high maintenance radio, costly to maintain (tubes), and are worth more money in their original forms. Just my .02 worth.

~Cheeers~

While hams have been modifying CB's to go 10M since the early 70's, technically it IS illegal. Unless the FCC changed the regs in recent years, it's illegal to modify FCC type accepted radio (in this case, a CB, as it's FCC type accepted under part 95 and part 15) out of band.

The Tram D201(A) isn't really worth modifying, even though it is possible. They are a high maintenance radio, costly to maintain (tubes), and are worth more money in their original forms. Just my .02 worth.

~Cheeers~

Yep...thought everyone knew that?

Yes it is true that a CB is part 95 accepted. As a licensed amateur, you can legally modify it for legal transmission on the ham bands. It will no longer be type accepted and therefore would be illegal to use on 11 meters.
I thought Everyone knew THAT!

Reactions: 1 person
This may come as a surprise to some but hams are given great flexibility with the equipment they are allowed to legally operate. Hams can build their own transmitter entirely from scratch. Hams can modify commercial 2-Way radios for amateur use. Hams can modify broadcast transmitters from radio stations for amateur use. Of course, hams can also modify 11 meter gear for amateur use if they so desire. None of this is subject to part 97 certification so long as it's for personal use and not mass produced or regularly sold to the public.

Reactions: aardvard
Thats correct. that is how ham radio used to be in the early years. Those guys could build a rig out of a box of scrap. It is ashame that it is not this way these days of buying an expensive rig out of the box. This is something that i would have loved to learn how to do.

kind of reminds me of when i was a kid. My grandfather was a radio operator in the B-52 in ww2 in the 102nd mapping squadron. he brought home the radio out of his plane and used to use it for monitoring purposses when he came home. He even built a power supply for it. I used to play around with it for hours trying to get it working....But i was only a kid.

but those guys and those days are long gone.

Damn shame.

This may come as a surprise to some but hams are given great flexibility with the equipment they are allowed to legally operate. Hams can build their own transmitter entirely from scratch. Hams can modify commercial 2-Way radios for amateur use. Hams can modify broadcast transmitters from radio stations for amateur use. Of course, hams can also modify 11 meter gear for amateur use if they so desire. None of this is subject to part 97 certification so long as it's for personal use and not mass produced or regularly sold to the public.

Although i would have to question this as far as the "black list' that i have read that made all of those "10 meter" radios illigal. I don't know if their is any truth to it or not. If it can be modified for 11 meters then it is illegal....So they say.

ever heard of it or read it?

So called 10 meter radio are not illegal because they can be modified for operation on the ham bands. They are illegal because they can be easily modified for use on 11 meters.

I have a tram d201a and if you don't want them I wouldn't mind making an offer?

Sent from Obama's ass just like everything else he says....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.