• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Transel Trans-a-lizer

smokercraft

Jun 27, 2005
I picked one of these up really cheap.Wattmeter works and so does the scope.I just can't get it to give me a clear pattern on the scope.I was wondering if anybody has the operating manuel on this or can steer me in the right direction to get one.I called transel here in Ohio an they told me it was made by the old transel corp and they could not help me.Thanks!

Hmmmm, "Clear Pattern"?

The best that it can do isn't all that clear.

Not sure you'll ever track this info down. Don't think he sold all that many.

If any of the three main controls, for brightness, focus and astigmatism acts like it's not being turned at all, that control may be bad. Can't remember if the focus knob is on the outside. Pretty sure the astigmatism (second focus control) is a screw-slot style large trimmer control on the inside.

Fixed resistors, usually 1 or 2 Watt are wired to those controls, to make variable voltage dividers. Those variable voltages set the size and brightness of the dot on the screen. When they're working right, at least. Bear in mind these parts run at a thousand Volts, more or less, and can knock you for a loop even after the power is removed, from juice stored in capacitors.

The fixed resistors that feed those controls will also fail, or the resistance value may change radically from what the color-code markings say.

Since that unit is 30 years old or more, failed filter capacitors in the power supply are possible. Any electrolytic capacitor that is original can no longer be trusted after this many years.

Anybody ever find the schematics or service manual, or a hint of service material ? Just snapped one of these up.

Retro

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.