• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trashing the band

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
It's getting tiresome having the spectrum trashed by one station whenever the skip is in from approximately 26.850 to 27.150khz. I'm using an SDR to monitor the band and can "see" that "766" in Mississippi on channel 6 is literally trashing the spectrum with an extremely "dirty" station. I'm not against stations running power, but when you're generating that power (most likely by running a big amp Class C), you're going to cause a lot of disruption to a lot of people. Day after day here in the midwest, this guy is generating crap all over the spectrum and making operating anywhere in the spectrum mentioned quite difficult. I have locals around me that just have to shut their rigs off when this guy is on the band operating a station hundreds of miles away.

I'm not trying to start a "war" here with this post, but I'm certain I'm not the only one noticing this problem. Too bad this happens every time the band is open.

Last edited:

Repeating...

I'm not against high power, loud modulation... whatever. I see lots of high power stations on the spectrum analyzer and know how to interpret what I see. Most likely this stations equipment has a serious problem and is affecting the many others that use this spectrum.

The ops goal is likely not only you hear him on every frequency in the band, but that you also can understand him. Monopolizing the band is his goal. If he reads this, he will know he is succeeding, and that will feed his desire for more power.

Please don't confuse big audio with hifi audio. Although it is possible to have a big audio hifi AM station mucking up the spectrum, it is also equally possible to have a hifi station sound big and never leave its assigned freq. Giving the hifi guys an undeserved bad rep.

I think it is high time that guys that make a mess from one channel should start thinking about using a band pass filter. Custom built for just one channel. That is actually a cheap item; can even be homebrewed. These guys need a dose of consideration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 543_Dallas
I would doubt that this op has an understanding about class C amps or parasitic oscillations, nor cares, but I don't think he wants the attention of someone with technical knowledge to single him out... like the FCC might. I have no interest in pursuing this with "authorities", and won't.

I am merely bringing attention to a problem that has to be affecting people for quite a distance. Sooner or later, the situation will get resolved when enough people get "pissed off" or when "authorities" see what I see.

authorities must certainly already see what you're seeing. They just don't care. The superbowl (ch 6) has been running for 40 years and uncle charlie is not going to change it.

I'm having a hard time seeing how hifi audio fits into the 10 kHz channel spec, and how such a narrow pass filter would be built.

Another one I see though are a lot of digital signals between the channels and several other just noise.

I've noticed it too. I checked it and could hear it as far up as the 10 meter band. I can understand what he is saying through all 40 channels. Finally, a place I can come and chat with people who understand that it is a problem and not a result of how "big of a radio" he is. I can't seem to get the locals I talk to to understand that it's not normal to bleed over the entire band.

Good to have someone else verify the problem. Yes, this is not an issue of high power, overmodulation, or hi-fi. This is the "spraying" of RF well outside normal limits with really bad equipment.

I have no love for our Lazy Bureaucratic parasite of an uncle, Uncle Charles. However it chaps My Arse when they pick on a guy for makin the neighbours TV fuzzy runnin 100 watts and let stuff like this slide, not that one is better than the other but Selective Enforcement isn't right either then what else would you expect from a Publicly funded Civil service enforcement arm of the current occupiers of the District on the public Gravy Train.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.