• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRC-55 HELP NEEDED

Sidewinder55

Nov 3, 2008
Hello All,
Just picked up a realistic 23 channel TRC-55 at a tag sale. It cleaned up great & even came with the owners manual.
When I plugged it in, the clock started to work!
The radio transmits fine on all channels with strong audio. Puts out about 3 watts & swings to about 4. Now for my big dissapointment. The radio does not receive on any channels. I can raise the volume control to max & only hear a very slight hiss from the internal speaker. I have hooked up an external speaker & even tried headphones in the jack , with the same results. There is also no receive signal showing on the s meter. I am assuming it is not a problem in the audio section otherwise I would still show some receive s meter readings when hooked up to an external antenna. I have also tried to probe around the insides while transmitting on a 100mw walkie talkie to see if the TRC-55 would pick the signal up, but had no luck except when the tip of the walkie talkie antenna was held around a capacitor near where the 2 leads plug into the board from the front pannel. I was able to hear audio from the walkie talkie but it still didn't register a signal on the s meter.
I also have tried all the obvious things like checking the rf gain control was set to max & the squelch was set to min. Also checked the board for cracks & did not find any.
Any help would be greatly appreciated on what circut would be the problem.
I don't have a signal tracer or generator, so I would be troubleshooting with a standard VOM meter.
Thank's In Advance!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.