• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tropo event

Blackcat630

Apr 2, 2013
Central Illinois
Dont know how many of you guys are into 144 mhz and up weak signal but if you are and in the midwest you probably already know about the great conditions the last 24 hours. The word on the streets is that Dorian has caused this enhancement in the midwest. All I know is I've picked up several new grids today on 2m. 2 new ones in Minnesota and a couple in Michigan. Also grabbed a new one in west Missouri. 1 new one in Indiana and 1 in Ohio I needed. Then my second grid in Ontario. Not too shabby for 100 w and a 13b2 at 60ft and no pre amps.

2m was wide open this morning and stayed semi open throughout the day.. no usual mid morning burn off. Then it opened up again tonight off to the east. It has been alot of fun!

Apparently hurricanes are terrible for 99.9% of all things.. but good for tropo and the wallets of lineman..

Most already know about this map.. good resource to check for openings.
http://aprs.mennolink.org

Here is a pick from tonight about 11pm central, the darker the color the more the enhancement.. dark red is good..
Screenshot_20190905-230540_Samsung Internet.jpg

Guess we will see how long this lasts..

BC630: If you have anything on 6m..even Dipole/Loop whatever. Big Rag Chew group gets on 50.135 every day(sometimes off/on all day) in W. Ind and East ILL...Terra Haute/Danville/Champaign ILL etc... might listen for them. Some Nr Marshall, IL and Danville, IL have some GOOD EARS!(y)
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB/EM79

Reactions: Blackcat630
BC630: If you have anything on 6m..even Dipole/Loop whatever. Big Rag Chew group gets on 50.135 every day(sometimes off/on all day) in W. Ind and East ILL...Terra Haute/Danville/Champaign ILL etc... might listen for them. Some Nr Marshall, IL and Danville, IL have some GOOD EARS!(y)
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB/EM79
Gary I just got on 6. 5 element yagi at 30 ft or so... less than perfect coax run for now.. it works ok. I did jump in and work a couple guys in indiana near Terra Haute I believe. It was on .135 the other morning. They were strong once I got there attention and they aimed at EM59. When I improve my station I will give it another go. Until then I will try to pick up as many new grids on 2&6 as possible when time and conditions allow..

Last edited:
Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.