• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trouble with SWR with Magnum 257! Please HELP!

In the future, only make one change at a time. Then test out that change. This way you will know if you get results, which change did it. Also lets you easily backtrack if the change is negative.(y)

The set screw that attaches the trunk mount to the trunk lip. Not on the base load. Everything that I have done so far has not changed the noise level yet. I am about to build the rfi filter to put inline with the power supply wires. then I will post a follow up!

Quick update. Ok, I thought I would do a simple test on the Magnum today. I ran an extention cord out and used my regulated power supply to power the radio, and connected the wilson 1000 coax up in my Honda. Perfect results. For whatever reason, if I use an alternate power source than the vehicle itself, everything works great, using the same antenna mounted on the trunk of the car. But, if I hook the power back to the cars batt. all hell breaks loose and everything goes funkie! KEEP IN MIND! This DOES NOT happen to the 2950 when installed in the Honda. So, looks like maybe I will be running the 2950 in that car. I now believe that the HONDAS DO NOT LIKE certain radios. Or maybe the radios dont like Hondas? Thanks for all your support!!!

73's
Shawn

Shawn,
From what you've indicated, it seems to be a problem of some sort with the power supplied by the car's system. That's odd. I can see where a too high/too low voltage might be it, or maybe even a 'pulsing' type thingy, but it would seem that it ought to show up in other accessories also, wouldn't you think?
Any chance of finding another radio to see what happens? No idea what to think about it, so good luck.
- 'Doc

Quick update. Ok, I thought I would do a simple test on the Magnum today. I ran an extention cord out and used my regulated power supply to power the radio, and connected the wilson 1000 coax up in my Honda. Perfect results. For whatever reason, if I use an alternate power source than the vehicle itself, everything works great, using the same antenna mounted on the trunk of the car. But, if I hook the power back to the cars batt. all hell breaks loose and everything goes funkie! KEEP IN MIND! This DOES NOT happen to the 2950 when installed in the Honda. So, looks like maybe I will be running the 2950 in that car. I now believe that the HONDAS DO NOT LIKE certain radios. Or maybe the radios dont like Hondas? Thanks for all your support!!!

73's
Shawn
PS.
I run a Magnum S9, A 2x2879 driver into up to a 12 pill big box with no problems. I run around town keying a 8pill box. I drive a 1994 Honda Accord. No problems over here.

I think it's got to be the radio.
Can you send it back and get another one to try?
I got a bogis two meter from radio shack once and the next one was ok.
Might be in the radiddio.....
Dick Baublitz

my 257 picks up RF from not only my windshield wipers, but other people's driving next to me! HA! The good thing is, it doesn rain here much. They have a very sensative recieve. But i drive around with the RF gain cranked to max all the time and zero squelch. It also picks up my radiator fan and ignition system.

Its all seeming to come from the antenna, as it goes away when i remove the antenna. Hint: try removing antenna and see if your getting noise. If no antenna, and still noise.... hrm... maybe you have a ground loop or you can clean up w/ some chokes etc. If its coming from the antenna, i have no idea how to fix it. put your antenna on a 30ft mast? Ok im gonna shutup now, i dont know what im talking about....

Hacksaw, Hope your still a member of the board. I know it's an old posting, but I'm new here and have a few explanations for you and others that were posting, and there were a lot of myths and misconceptions going on that need to be corrected. First off I AM an Electronics Engineer, and an Extra Class Ham. Been around the block quite a few times, and seen this before. What you experienced is the result of a floating ground. In short, the radio itself has (or had) an issue and needed to be sent in for repairs. This caused a DC voltage to show up on the output of the the radios RF connector that your SWR meter was reading, even though the radio was not transmitting. In audio circles this is often known as a ground loop. Now on to some of the errors I saw posted.
First: Grounding the base of a trunklip antenna mount... ALWAYS a must do to maintain a good SWR. Even if the trunk deck isnt plastic. the mount can develop rust between the set screws that clamp it in place, or even at the hinges.
Second: SWR does NOT change between radios or power levels if properly adjusted at the antenna. The Standing Wave Ratio is determined by transmitted power vs reflected power and is caused by one thing- the resonance of the antenna. When you tune the antenna you are setting the resonant frequency. Since the antenna is affected by capacitance and inductance of the antenna, the mount and all structures around it, it must be adjusted for resonance with these variables in place. Radios and power are not part of that equation. Remember when the power level changes the set point changes, but this does not mean the swr changes. Most SWR meters available to the end user are not sensitive enough for true readings of this fact, when ever possible use a cross needle meter. low level meter movement is less accurate than movement at higher levels which is why lab grade meters are always cross needle.
Third: this one confuses people a lot- noise in a receiver that can be eliminated or reduced by filtering the power supply is not the result of a noisy receiver, it's the result of an improperly bypassed receiver. Noisey receivers pick up the noise through the antennan not the power supply. Automotive power systems are some of the noiseist on the planet, and for giggles you should throw an oscilloscope on one some time.
These were the biggest misconceptions I noticed and were the primary reason I am posting on a three year old thread. I hope that it helps others with situations that they have been having problems with. These are not based on theory, but are proven fact, time and time again. If you are experiencing otherwise, then look for a problem in your installation, that needs to be corrected. With antennas look for grounds that should or should not exist. With radios acting odd, look for that missing RF ground. With Antennas that wont tune, (they get close but then the SWR shoots up suddenly) its more than likely incompatable for the frequency range, but believe it or not a simple match box MAY fix the issue IF it allows sufficient operating band width... but more often than not it's a matter of too thin of a conductor in the antenna itself. None of this is really magic. it's just the laws of physics being applied properly and understanding it's limits, and how to use them to your advantage.

Reactions: 1 person
Hi shawn ck your ground wire with a fluke meter or volt meter for voltage you may have a posative ground. And did you start your car when you ran the power cord from the house?:pop:

Hacksaw, Hope your still a member of the board. I know it's an old posting, but I'm new here and have a few explanations for you and others that were posting, and there were a lot of myths and misconceptions going on that need to be corrected. First off I AM an Electronics Engineer, and an Extra Class Ham. Been around the block quite a few times, and seen this before. What you experienced is the result of a floating ground. In short, the radio itself has (or had) an issue and needed to be sent in for repairs. This caused a DC voltage to show up on the output of the the radios RF connector that your SWR meter was reading, even though the radio was not transmitting. In audio circles this is often known as a ground loop. Now on to some of the errors I saw posted.
First: Grounding the base of a trunklip antenna mount... ALWAYS a must do to maintain a good SWR. Even if the trunk deck isnt plastic. the mount can develop rust between the set screws that clamp it in place, or even at the hinges.
Second: SWR does NOT change between radios or power levels if properly adjusted at the antenna. The Standing Wave Ratio is determined by transmitted power vs reflected power and is caused by one thing- the resonance of the antenna. When you tune the antenna you are setting the resonant frequency. Since the antenna is affected by capacitance and inductance of the antenna, the mount and all structures around it, it must be adjusted for resonance with these variables in place. Radios and power are not part of that equation. Remember when the power level changes the set point changes, but this does not mean the swr changes. Most SWR meters available to the end user are not sensitive enough for true readings of this fact, when ever possible use a cross needle meter. low level meter movement is less accurate than movement at higher levels which is why lab grade meters are always cross needle.
Third: this one confuses people a lot- noise in a receiver that can be eliminated or reduced by filtering the power supply is not the result of a noisy receiver, it's the result of an improperly bypassed receiver. Noisey receivers pick up the noise through the antennan not the power supply. Automotive power systems are some of the noiseist on the planet, and for giggles you should throw an oscilloscope on one some time.
These were the biggest misconceptions I noticed and were the primary reason I am posting on a three year old thread. I hope that it helps others with situations that they have been having problems with. These are not based on theory, but are proven fact, time and time again. If you are experiencing otherwise, then look for a problem in your installation, that needs to be corrected. With antennas look for grounds that should or should not exist. With radios acting odd, look for that missing RF ground. With Antennas that wont tune, (they get close but then the SWR shoots up suddenly) its more than likely incompatable for the frequency range, but believe it or not a simple match box MAY fix the issue IF it allows sufficient operating band width... but more often than not it's a matter of too thin of a conductor in the antenna itself. None of this is really magic. it's just the laws of physics being applied properly and understanding it's limits, and how to use them to your advantage.

God!

That's one big block of reading right thar. Hurts me eyes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.