• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to decide on which one to get and from who

chad68

Dec 20, 2010
I have narrowed my mobile choice down to a Galaxy 98VHP, Ranger 69FFC2, Ranger 2970N2 or a Magnum 257.

I'm also open to another radios to include on the list but it must have a freq counter built in but for now I'm only interesetd in these 4.

One thing I like about the Magnum is I can expand the freqs myself and not have to worry about somebody else opening up the radio. Even a noob like me can move the jumper to con 3 and press reset for 10 seconds.

Which brings me to a question, I have no idea how to expand any of the other radios and would be at the mercy of somebody else doing the work. If I got one of the other 3 radios, would I be better off with Walcott or Bells doing the work?

I don't want the power bumped up or modulation bumped up or clarifiers messed with anything else, just the basic freq conversion on any of the 3 other radios and any 'needed' tweaks associated with the freq and only the freq conversion itself. I don't want the power bumped up because I want the radio to be as trouble free as it can be and don't want to put unwanted/needed strain on my trucks electrical system.

Any thoughts, info, pointers, recomendatios etc.?

Walcott does good work. Got a new Galaxy DX 94HP from them.

If echo is important to you, select one with echo. That will cut out the RCI's unless you are going to add echo externally or an echo board could be installed in the radio at extra cost of course.

Don't necessarily be afraid to buy a used used radio from someone. Can save a LOT of money and it will already be opened up and probably peaked and tuned well. Just ask lots of questions. Ask if there are ANY ISSUES at all with it and if it arrives not as described then ask again in advance if they will take it back for full refund without ANY dad burn whining about it.

If a medium power will do then hunt ya up a Galaxy DX 99V. Beautiful audio out of those. Also the Galaxy DX 94 HP is about the same as the 98, you won't miss the somewhat less power and it's more than $100 cheaper.

Good luck!

Just forget the echo and go with the 2970 if you truly like to use SSB because it has a true vfo which I don't think any of your other choices have meaning you can tune to the 10/th of a kc.

I have owned and operated all these brands and due to one thing or another the only one I still use is the RCI.

I've had the 2970n2 for about a month now, it is a great radio IMO. I got it from HERE, he doesn't try to do anything magical, he just converts and tightens them up.

the only good thing about the 257hp is the clafier is locked on trans/rec...but no cw...The best bet is the 2970n2,and you get a better warrenty...73s de JW

There are more things about the 257 that I don't like, than I like. The Freq counter which is really only actually a freq display, serves very little purpose.

It depends on what your wanting to do with the radio.

SSB w/no echo = 2970

AM w/Power & factory echo = 98VHP (my choice of radios)

AM w/factory echo & ability to add an amp later = 99V

Of course this has already been said.

I like buying from Sparky's myself. He peeks and tunes and modifies for 11 meters at no extra cost.

My opinon if you wanting to talk on ssb stay away from galaxys or any export radio with a dual clarifier they are useless on ssb drifters is what I call them lol.The rci2970n2 would be a much better radio for you.Also I wanted to tell you stay away from sparkys cb shack.I bought a new rci 2950dx from sparkys before and I was very unhappy with it I spent $306 dollars on it to get it from there and once I got it I talked on it for a few days till I got the money to buy another radio then got rid of the 2950dx I bought from sparkys it was all out of whack boy was I mad spending $306 bucks on a radio then having to buy another one some where else.I like 2950dx's if they are tuned right.

Last edited:
Who will sell you a bone stock 2950DX without messing with it?

My opinon if you wanting to talk on ssb stay away from galaxys or any export radio with a dual clarifier they are useless on ssb drifters is what I call them lol.The rci2970n2 would be a much better radio for you.Also I wanted to tell you stay away from sparkys cb shack.I bought a new rci 2950dx from sparkys before and I was very unhappy with it I spent $306 dollars on it to get it from there and once I got it I talked on it for a few days till I got the money to buy another radio then got rid of the 2950dx I bought from sparkys it was all out of whack boy was I mad spending $306 bucks on a radio then having to buy another one some where else.I like 2950dx's if they are tuned right.

Got what from here? I don't see where he sells any radios, just services them.

No, he doesn't have a store front on his website. But he can sell you any radio that you want, and usually cheaper than the big store front sites.

EDIT__________
I just read his site and it says "sales to locals only". I'm not sure when he started that, but he has never had a store front. Oh well, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Guttapercha there is alot of ppl will sell a bone stock 2950dx when I have stuff worked on I wanna be there at the shop watching the tech do the work I just don't trust to many ppl working on my radios the reason why is because there is alot of so called cb shops out there now days that should be called hack shops instead of cb shops.I just want to help that guy out on his radio choice and tell him not to by one from sparkys cb shack.I know I won't never buy nothing from sparkys again.The ole saying is you burn me once it's your fault you burn me twice it's my fault lol.My cb technician has been working on radios I know for about 40 yrs or so and he is 70 some thing years old but I tell you what he still knows how to work on them radios he has probly forgot more info about cb radios than these so called techs now days will ever know.

I've had the 2970n2 for about a month now, it is a great radio IMO. I got it from HERE, he doesn't try to do anything magical, he just converts and tightens them up.

That makes this much easier - I live in Columbus. He's 45 minutes away. Think I'll give him a call.

That makes this much easier - I live in Columbus. He's 45 minutes away. Think I'll give him a call.

Yeah, make sure you call. He has guys in from Cincy, Dayton, Columbus etc, so he schedules "appointments" if you will, and puts the locals on hold. That way guys traveling long distances for repairs or installs can take their stuff back with them.

He's a good guy and knows what he is doing, no dog-n-pony shows if you know what I mean.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.