• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to use MFJ-941C tuner with low power

jopcobra89

Jun 20, 2010
Hi all,

Do manual antenna tuners require a minimum power level to work properly?

I just bought a MFJ-941C tuner and would like to use it, but apparently the 4 watts output of a stock CB isn't enough power to get the 941C to work. The manual says to adjust the Sensitivity/Power control for maximum meter deflection for SWR calibration and if maximum deflection can't be obtained... increase transmitter power. I can only get about half meter deflection at the tuner's lowest setting. Hooked up an external meter to it thinking it still might tune using low power without much success.

Any ideas? Thanks

If you want to use one of MFJ's little tuners to tune a QRP radio (or even a CB), there are several newer, fairly inexpensive ones that will do the job. I use an MFJ-904H to do that very thing on my 10 meter antenna.

In reality the tuner function will work at ANY power level below it's upper limit. The problem is that the SWR meter will not calibrate on just 4 watts. I bet it will work fine with about 6-8 watts since you say you have half scale with 4 watts. If you place another meter inline between the radio and tuner you should see the tuner actually working as you adjust it providing of course it is not in BYPASS mode.

it's a nice small tuner, wish it had a cross-needle meter. Can that be changed out? Where would you get such a thing if so?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.