• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-2000 Work Around

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
TS-2000 users have a reason to rejoice, even though the AO-51 Satellite is gone you can in fact work the other FM Satellites that fall within the dreaded Kenwood Birdie frequency range by adding a High Sierra Microwave 435M7-BFBF down converter.

Some of the other TS-2000 users have been using Down Converters for some time and I was unaware of the availability of such a unit. With a little research I found the High Sierra unit. Its reasonably priced at $139 and appeared to be just what the doctor ordered.

We all know the TS-2000 has problems in the 436.800 range with a horrible birdie that virtually makes it useless on the AO-27 and SO-50 FM Satellites, with the demise of AO-51 that pretty much left the TS-2000 to operate on the SSB birds alone. I ordered up the 435M7-BFBF from High Sierra, I had to wait a couple of weeks while they completed a build up of the units.

Upon arrival I found a very nicely built unit that is small and compact in an all aluminum case. It has 2 BNC connectors and two pins for adding external power. It uses 9-14 volts and can also be powered by way of a T Bias adapter on the IF side of the unit for remote mounting. I opted to mount mine in the shack for ease of use.
The TS-2000 has a dedicated RX antenna port on the back of the radio via a RCA jack, I added an A – B switch to my UHF antenna and on the B side it goes to my Down Converter and then to this dedicated RX jack. The frequencies translate from 436.800 to 11.800 into the radio and this gets rid of the dreaded TS-2000 birdie.

435M7-2.JPG

Initial testing was wonderful, I can now hear the 27 and 50 Satellites, its awesome to still be able to dabble in the FM realm of things.

Anyway, all you TS-2000 guys need not despair, even if Kenwood wont fix the issue there is a work around, and you wont have to pay outrageous money for radios that are no longer in production.

Enjoy !!

Reactions: 2 people

So far so good, but you do need to edit the Doppler file in SatPC32 .. Here is the line I am using for SO-50 and AO-27.

SO-50,436795,145850,FM,FM,NOR,425000,0

AO-27,436795,145850,FM,FM,NOR,425000,0

This will show up on the radio with 11.795 and have the correct doppler shift, you cant just change the RX freq on the line or you wont have the correct shift. Easiest way to figure out the off set it to subtract the Sat Frequency from the Down Converter frequency and that gives you the offset. For the 435M7 that is 425000 for both satellites.

I will be testing this today if I get some decent passes.

Craig

Well the testing took longer than I expected. I had to change out the UHF beam as I was having lots of trouble with the Gulf Alpha. I then injured my hand while lowering the mast to change out the beam, so add another 2 weeks. Now the beam has been changed out and everything is back in place. ( with the exception of the bones in my left hand )

With the new beam I can hear the 27 and 50 a lot farther out than ever before, the down converter does exactly what its suppose to do without issue, nice clean audio on the rig. I am now a very happy camper !!

There are a couple of recording of the passes on my livestream site at w1msg - live streaming video powered by Livestream look under some of the recent videos I think you will agree that this set up works pretty well !

ruh-oh... check your livestream link. My anti-virus locked me up with a malware warning as soon as I clicked it.

This is a great thread! I've warned people interested in satellite work about this TS-2000 issue and didn't know there was a fix like this. Nice!

This is a great thread! I've warned people interested in satellite work about this TS-2000 issue and didn't know there was a fix like this. Nice!

I cant remember who told me about the High Sierra Microwave the 432M7 is the one I purchased and it works awesome. Since people are paying a ton of money for discontinued Icoms or Yaesu's this is the best way to go with a rig thats still in production..

Amateur Radio Satellite Products

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.