• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ts-450sat opinions?

Se7en

Jun 27, 2010
Ca
Own one ? Like it ? Dislike it ? Post up. Hows the pc interface with hrd ?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The TS-450sat isn't a bad radio. It's also not one of the latest/greatest and I wouldn't expect it to do things many of the new radios will. It's certainly capable of being interfaced to a computer, but remember this radio is something like 25 years old, it wasn't designed specifically to make that interfacing a 'plug-n-play' thingy.
Probably the biggest 'draw-back' is it's lack of channel memories, there's a limited number, not thousands. It's a 100 watt all-mode radio that covers 160 thru 10 meters and has an internal antenna tuner. (Yes, it has a CW side tone.)
It was a 'middle of the road', average radio in it's day, and not a bad one. It wasn't 'fancy' then and it certainly isn't now. Ought'a make a very nice 'standby' radio (at least for me).
- 'Doc

[The TS-680 was a TS-450 with 6 meters added. There wasn't as many of those sold as the '450s though.]

Own one ? Like it ? Dislike it ? Post up. Hows the pc interface with hrd ?

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but I thought that I read in one of your other/older threads, that you already owned an IC7000.

Isn't that radio living up to all of these question/your needs?

Just curios as to how/why things changed.....

Ya VS, you keep asking about all these old radios and if they're any good and the answer is always the same. They're a huge roll of the dice. All of the newer radios will be better in every way and more reliable with more features and better performance. Save your pennies and get a newer, better used radio rather than fishing to get some old rig that just-works for some cheaper price.

If you do make a buy on an older radio, I would insist on being able to check it out in person to make sure everything works 100% and then I still wouldn't pay too much. There are too many possible headaches and problems to encounter.

But good luck anywho bro

Ya VS, you keep asking about all these old radios and if they're any good and the answer is always the same. They're a huge roll of the dice. All of the newer radios will be better in every way and more reliable with more features and better performance. Save your pennies and get a newer, better used radio rather than fishing to get some old rig that just-works for some cheaper price.

If you do make a buy on an older radio, I would insist on being able to check it out in person to make sure everything works 100% and then I still wouldn't pay too much. There are too many possible headaches and problems to encounter.

But good luck anywho bro

I sold the 7000 because I was too retarded trying to use the filtering.

I guess ill just order another ic-7000. Even tho I really dont like vhf in a hf radio.

Oh well, only one digit off.
As for the TS-850, that 'hifi' mod is the least of it's benefits. (I wouldn't rate it as a benefit to start with but each his own). I had one since they were first out. Wore out the first one, and only swapped off the second one when it was proven to me that there really was something better. Their biggest draw back now is that there are no replacements for a couple of the million legged chips used in them. If you can find a good used one, get it!
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.