• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-590 PSK31?

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
I've been wanting to try some digital stuff. I know VERY little about it. I have my 590 hooked up with Kenwood's software. I did this before, but lost interest after a few days.

Anyways, I still want to try PSK31 and later on, packet. When I start to research the topic I get overloaded with information. All I'm looking for is the easiest software to use that's going to let me start making some contacts. I don't care for HRD, but interested in something light and streamlined.

I get overloaded easily, which causes frustration. I wish I knew a local that could elmer me.

All I have so far is:

TS-590 connected to a small desktop with Win 7 using Kenwood software.

I guess all I need now is a program for digital stuff, right? Lol, I'm really stupid on this stuff. I was hoping someone has an identical setup and could recommend what I need.

I know very little about it as well. I downloaded a program called digipan this weekend. I have an icom 756 pro that I don't have interfaced to the computer yet. I was able to decode QSO's just by the laptop microphone and radio external speaker.

I second Digipan. I used it years ago and it was quite simple to use and worked well. I have not used it, or any other digital mode, in the past several years however.

Digipan is Old Reliable. I think it's pretty basic but it works. One of the older hams in the area I know swears by it too and he's made close to 10,000 QSOs with it and his FT-2000 using a Signalink USB. The software is very dated but it still runs fine on Windows 7.

Haven't done much with fldigi, its more advanced than digipan but I prefer HRD with DM780.

I've been dabbling more with JT-65 on my TS-590 but for that I use JT65-HF with HamLib for control. USB cable from laptop to TS-590, 2nd USB cable from laptop to Signalink USB, cable from Signalink to the ACC2 port.

Reactions: 1 person
Digipan is the easiest for beginners. Fldigi is the way to go when you've mastered Digipan.

Make sure audio is adjusted so that the "T/R" power (not sending characters) on a wattmeter is one half the "Tune" power, and you will be sending clean psk.

If your radio is 100w pep, make sure the "Tune" power is between 40 to 45w max. You don't need to run any more power than this anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.