• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS50S HIGH POWER MOD UPDATE

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
After recently acquiring a TS-50, I checked the power and was getting 195 watts
on 20 meter.

I got crap audio reports and my LDG Tuner kept kicking into bypass because it
was to much power.

The modification to add a trim pot for high power is USELESS! DO NOT DO IT!

The mod says there is no adjustment pot for high power so the mod has you add
one.

The Service Manual Page 87 Says VR14 is the High Power Adjustment,

SAVE YOUR RADIO AND DONT ADD A NOT NEEDED TRIM POT !!!

Attachments

• ts50highpowerVR14.jpg
    ts50highpowerVR14.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 417

Might I add that any power mod to increase power from the nominal 100 watt transceiver is pretty much useless for increasing your signal but may/will certainly contribute to a shorter lifespan and/or crappy audio. Some people have actually burned up circuit traces in the PA section by squeezing every last watt out of their 100 watt radio. Some circuit traces just cannot handle the extra current flow.

Reactions: Rwb and Woody-202
I can say that especially with Kenwood solidstate radios, your best bet is to NOT increase power as that mod does, or even if done by the devices already in the circuit. That 100 watt limit was chosen for a very good reason. Very basically, what do you want, quality or quantity? And what are you willing to give up for quantity? 'Life span' is the biggy, and the use of other modes than SSB is one of the others.
Hey, it's your radio. If you want to mess it up, you go right ahead.
- 'Doc

I always hate to see a nice radio hacked for a few extra watts that do nothing but shorten the life of the final output transistors. The TS-50S probably runs at it's cleanest somewhere under 100 watts anyway. Hope you get it back to spec.

That is why even when I was 18 and running a 2950 when I made modifications I was never chasing watt's! When I replaced parts with higher gain parts, or parts that could handle more power, more current etc......I never exceeded the radio's output ratings. My goal was to make the radio more durable and able to function continuously with out drift, heat soak issues, thermal runaway, distortion, etc......... So even though I did the same typical things most do to chase power higher voltage caps, better, voltage regulator, higher current power socket's, higher gain transistors, etc......I never chased watt's!

My take on power is that if you need more, then get more! It's more cost effective and less problematic to add a linear amplifier to the system then it is to push the radio to it's limits.

I always add speech processing first then amplifier second. This assumes you have already maximized your feed line system and antenna system. Unless you double or quadruple your effective radiated power then little is to be gained from anything less then that.

Oh and I am not talking about modulator and swing mod's, that is not speech compression at all.

Durability and clean signal are the name of the game, if you want power add another box! Not making fun of anyone either, just seen a lot of smoked radios from people chasing a few watt's that in the large scheme of things was not even a significant increase in power!

Reactions: OldModel
After recently acquiring a TS-50, I checked the power and was getting 195 watts
on 20 meter.

I got crap audio reports and my LDG Tuner kept kicking into bypass because it
was to much power.

The modification to add a trim pot for high power is USELESS! DO NOT DO IT!

The mod says there is no adjustment pot for high power so the mod has you add
one.

The Service Manual Page 87 Says VR14 is the High Power Adjustment,

SAVE YOUR RADIO AND DONT ADD A NOT NEEDED TRIM POT !!!

That poor little TS-50...

Hope you got her back to a state of equilibrium.

Hi have just purchased a ts50 that has a high power mod done, but, there is no notes in the paperwork as to what has been done, i want to reverse this mod, what am i looking for? cheers Snowy

tool time tim allen
MORE POWER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.