• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS850S to computer

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Can someone point me in the right direction.
I'm wanting to connect my Kenwood TS850S to my lap top so I can use the HRD program.
Or maybe you have what I need stuck in a drawer somewhere and would like to sell it.

Help me to better my station.

Or...
Got an old USB cable? How about the owner's manual for that TS-850? then hit the 'Rat Shack' for a 6-pin mini-din connector (if you don't have one) and make that cable for something like $5.00 (if you buy that 6-pin connector).
The TS-850 came with a programming manual. Most were never used, just tossed in a corner. You might see if you can find one. No idea how much help it would be with what you want to do, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
- 'Doc

I can make one of those!

I thought there would be some kind of component/box that would need to go between the two to make the computer understand the radio or visa-versa. I do have the operators manual and service manual so I hope I would have all the info I would need to set up the radio to do this.

If anyone else knows if this will or wont work please chime in here.

Its not that I don't trust you Doc, I just like to get a few folks to agree with something before I dive in. You've helped me before and I appreciate it every time.:D

My understanding is that it's not just a matter of making a cable: you need a TTL level converter too.

I would suggest either this:

IF-232PX RS-232 Level Converter for Kenwood Transceivers [IF232RS232] - $55.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

Or this:

IF-232usb USB to Kenwood Serial Adapter [IF232USB] - $55.00 : Piexx Company, Computers & Electronics

The USB one doesn't need a wall wart for power as it's powered directly off the USB bus. It contains its own RS232 to USB adapter, so it should show up as a serial port in Windows.

-Bill

It's great to make stuff for your radios, like antennas and such.
But when it came to make the computer link cable for my new $1300 Kenwood TS-2000, I said 'no way'.

If I should happen to make a mistake building this cable - and then have to send the radio to a shop because I wanted to build a $5 cable that didn't work right and caused some damage to save $30 - it ultimately didn't add up to common sense.

I just paid the $35 for the right cable and went with it.

"Affordable Radio" is where I bought mine. AVOID/DON'T BUY the cheaper cables from China. I had to send the 'el cheapo' back to China because it wasn't 6 ft as claimed - and it wasn't even for my radio! Lost a whole month before I got refunded too. Affordable Radio sells the right stuff from the git-go. Very pleased with it. I use my computer to adjust my radio 95% of the time. I like using it this way.

Just sayin . . .

Last edited:
Just to follow up on this, I recently decided to buy the PIEXX IF232USB adapter that I mentioned in my previous post for my Kenwood TS-850SAT. It works as advertised. It uses an FTDI RS232 to USB adapter chip, and comes with a CD with drivers.

The only problem is, the optional Kenwood DSP-100 unit plugs into the same ACC2 port where the CAT cable goes, and apparently you can't use both at once. (There's a separate connector on the back of the DSP-100 unit which I thought would feed through, but when I plug the CAT cable in there, the radio doesn't respond.)

Ah well.

-Bill

Thank for the follow up on that.
I don't have the DSP100. I wish I did. That is something else on my list of things to try and find.
Well now I know its ether one or the other. How did it look on the computer? Did it give you a band scope and make it so you can control the radio completely from the computer? What else did this allow you to do and/or see?

Well, first, understand that there are two different ways to achieve band scope functionality with the TS-850. One is the ACC1 jack, the other is the IF OUT connector. (Note: in my previous post I mistakenly identified the computer control port as ACC2. It really is ACC1. Sorry for the confusion.)

The computer control connection via ACC1 gives you a way to issue commands to the radio and query its status. You can tell it to go to a specific frequency, change modes, select a memory channel, query the signal meter reading, key up the transmitter, etc... It's really just a 4800 baud serial connection. There's a separate manual that comes with the TS-850 that explains the command syntax. You can connect a terminal program direct to the radio and type in the commands manually to experiment with it. (For example, typing "ID;" will cause it to return a model ID code, which I think for the TS-850 is ID0009.)

The IF OUT jack provides a tap of the receiver's 8.83Mhz IF stage. It's normally meant to be connected to the Kenwood SM-230 station monitor, which has a built-in band scope feature. It's analog though, not digital. (I have the SM-230; it's a nifty accessory.)

The best way of generating a band scope display is to use the IF OUT port, and I know people have built interfaces so that you can sample the IF OUT signal via a typical computer sound card. I think there's also at least one 3rd party manufacturer that makes a nice digital pan adapter unit that can be configured to work with the TS-850.

However, it seems the Ham Radio Deluxe software can use an alternate approach that uses just the computer control interface, where it sweeps the radio across the band and records the signal meter readings in order to create a graph of activity above and below your currently selected frequency.

The only problem with this is that you generally can't listen to your current frequency and gather the signal meter samples at the same time (the program has to keep sweeping the receiver around to gather data), and with the TS-850 gathering samples will be a bit slow since the serial interface operates at only 4800 baud. So it's questionable how useful this feature can be.

Anyway, I didn't use Ham Radio Deluxe, since I don't run Windows on my computer. I found an open source program called GRig, which works in conjunction with the Hamlib software. It worked ok, but was a little clumsy (GRig is old and fairly basic).

Like I said, the interface did work, but the fact that it wouldn't work in conjunction with the DSP-100 unit was a bit of a let down.

-Bill

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.