• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube radio carrier control kits? Real Soon Now. We always say that.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
So, here is an open letter, sorta.

To? That would be all the poor schmucks I promised to sell this toy in the form of a D-I-Y kit.

Like, for the last year or three.

Never mind the excuses. This thing is so easy to install wrong that I insist on soldering every wire that I can before it's packed up to ship. This leaves only the wires that must be passed through a hole before they can be soldered.

So, you ask, why not just put plugs on a wiring harness and sockets on the circuit boards?

Good question. Mostly I just don't trust plugs.

Or sockets. When I'm tempted to go this route, I just think about the immense fraction of my career spent dealing with connector faults of all kinds.

Yes, I could just throw some wire in with the circuit boards and the control, tell you how long to cut and strip them, and show you where they go.

That is what we generally call a "support nightmare" in the making. Every wire the installer must connect becomes one more thing that can go wrong. Only takes one wire in the wrong place to keep it from working.

Up to now, the only folks I have shipped "DIY" versions of this thing had a very-important advantage.

Well, maybe two of them. First each of them has a clue. Second, they each have a "crib sheet" radio on hand to copy from. That would be a radio we had installed the setup into and he took home from here working. If the guy has a problem, he always finds that the newly-installed setup really doesn't look just exactly like the radio that DOES work properly. The fix is no trick to figure out once he spots what's "different" in the radio that won't work right.

Besides, every time we get serious about packing these things up as kits in any numbers to ship, a dozen or so radios show up out of the blue and 'POOF', those kits are all gone. After installing 400 or more of these the last 20-plus years, it takes less labor to install it in a radio than it does to test the board, configure it, pack the kit, check for accuracy and write up the order to ship it out.

Well, maybe. Seems like it, anyway.

Time to start over. We're nearly halfway through building a batch of fifty. With any luck, this will permit filling all the back orders before it runs out.

JvFArq.jpg

Now it's time to haul out the "test" D201A and hook up the completed boards to it, one by one. Building this board leaves room for error, too. And I won't ship one of these before I see it control MY radio like it's supposed to.

To everyone who has been continually waiting for this, please accept my gratitude for your patience.

Can't be long now.

I get one for the mark 3 and was very happy with it. I like to do the tram and mark 4 keep up the good work and thanks for the reply

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated