• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuner and OCF

commando57

Jan 14, 2013
I listen around the HF bands and was wondering if I hooked up a tuner would I be able to hear more stuff? Is the tuner just for transmitting? VSWR is 3 to 1 and up with no tuner.

On the other hand I have seen recieve strength go up and down while tuning my HF rigs. I would say if you have a tuner put it in line and try it Im interested to see what you come up with or notice.

If you do put a tuner inline PLEASE post and share your results ;)

On the other hand I have seen recieve strength go up and down while tuning my HF rigs. I would say if you have a tuner put it in line and try it Im interested to see what you come up with or notice.

If you do put a tuner inline PLEASE post and share your results ;)

Usually that tuning causes the SWR to swing far higher than what the antenna impedance causes and thus introduces even more loss. Also on HF the difference seen using a tuner will not make the difference between hearing something and not hearing it as was the original question I believe about hearing more stuff with a tuner. It's like using a preamp on 80m. Signal strength is not the limiting factor. Noise is.

Ok C.K. I gotcha. ;)

Tony, I used to do a LOT of SWLing and AM broadcast band DX'ing and tried various antennas and even a tuner inline.Unless the antenna was VERY short or the wavelength very long a tuner made a very small difference in signal strength but never would it allow me to hear something I could not hear without it. It simply brought up the noise as well at the same rate the signal increased so the S/N ratio was the same. With a very large inductor (wound toroid) and an 1100 pF tuning capacitor I could make my 600 foot long wire antenna perform a little better down on the broadcast band and into the LF range but nothing drastic and again nothing that would allow me to hear something I couldn't otherwise hear.Again, down there it is all about S/N ratio and not sensitivity. In fact nowadays I turn the preamp OFF in my FT-857 when below 160m to avoid front end overload and increase the dynamic range of the receiver.

Using an indoor loop about 3 feet on a side however was a different story. The loop had to be tuned to resonance in order to hear anything and it is surprising what even a loop that size can pick up. In this case it is not quite the same thing as using a tuner inline as you are actually tuning the loop antenna to resonate at the desired frequency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.