• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner +2 desk mic

Boogieman

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 1, 2009
I traded for a Turner +2 desk mic which is wired 4 pin for Cobra.

Hooked it up to a Ranger 33 Super Star and everything seemed fine as far as modulation except for a little mic squeal. ( I turned down my mic gain)

The next day..disconnected it and hooked it up to my RCI 2950 with the Cobra 4 to RCI 6 pin adapter and nothing but deadkey.

Changing it back over to my Ranger 33 and nothing but deadkey. Hooked it up to my Cobra 29 and again....yep....deadkey.

It has a new 9v battery.

Power on the mic is set at 8

Any Turner gurus out there got any suggest/comments/advice?

I'm no 'guru'.
Chances are - it sounds like a broken wire in the plug itself. They are very delcate and break easy. Happens all the time with me. Just don't lose that little screw when you take that plug apart. Take a piece of tape and put the screw on it and keep it away from getting knocked on to the floor. Once it is on the floor - forgetaboutit - it's g o n e - it's v e r y small. So - be careful. Use a 40 watt soldering iron - any bigger than that is really too much. The rest is just about resolding the broken wire and putting it back together...Be careful with that screw!!!

Last edited:
plastic bottom on those and age have been known to cause problems. Just fitting tight enough in the battery comparment to push up on the points and cause a key up problem or a unkey problem.

Because of age and unless you have a mint condition T2 , they can be very fragile mic's. The problem with most of these mic's is that guys would use them as lap mic's and or hold them with two hands rather then to keep them firmly seated on a table "hence" desk mic. I could say the same thing about D-104 desk mic's over the years.

When using these mic's other then firmly on a desk , it can be very easy to peak and tweek the points in them to where they won't work right and need to be re-adjusted. What was said above can all apply.

plastic bottom on those and age have been known to cause problems. Just fitting tight enough in the battery comparment to push up on the points and cause a key up problem or a unkey problem.

Because of age and unless you have a mint condition T2 , they can be very fragile mic's. The problem with most of these mic's is that guys would use them as lap mic's and or hold them with two hands rather then to keep them firmly seated on a table "hence" desk mic. I could say the same thing about D-104 desk mic's over the years.

When using these mic's other then firmly on a desk , it can be very easy to peak and tweek the points in them to where they won't work right and need to be re-adjusted. What was said above can all apply.

I was gonna say the same thim SK but I thought he had no modulation problem....good advice it has happened to me also..gotta remember to keep it flat on its feet

First...I would like to thank you guys for the replies.

What I think happened, is the mic cord is the original 'heavy' one and I have my RCI 2950on a mounted on a shelf about a foot up and the cord stretched.

I took the pin apart and wiggled it and plugged it back into the radio. It works !!

I'm going to take it apart this weekend and resolder the pin wires.

Thanks again

A little trick I use is to put a small plastic wire tie on the cord (inside the mic plug) as a strain relief. That way when tension is put on the cord it won't pull on the wires that are soldered to the pins. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.