• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UHF/VHF?

CB_User

May 5, 2007
Ohio
pyroforum.forumcircle.com
Hello,

I am thinking about getting a hand held VHF radio or UHF radio, I have not much experience in radios, my question is this... Which radio (VHF/UHF) is the one where you can listen to stuff such as public transportation, aircraft, etc. As I am confused about this and want to get the right one, so please let me know.

Thanks,
CB_User

CB_User,
The radio to get is the one that will 'listen' to the majority of what you want to hear. To know which will do that, you need to know the frequencies or the bands that are in common use in your area. The different services don't all use the same type radios or bands in all places (starting to get more complicated, huh?). So, I would think that your first priority would be to find out what frequencies are in use, by which service, in your area. Several ways of going about that. One way is to look up that information on the internet. Another is to ask at the radio shops in your area, or the places that sell radios (scanners) in your area (Radio Shack, for example). [In my area the sheriff's office use both VHF and UHF. Same for the PD, and each usually has more than one frequency that they use.] Another option is to find other users in your area (scan heads!). If anyone knows, they would.
At that point you have the requirements for your shopping list. The best all around kind of scanner is one that covers 'day light to dark'. I hope you have lots of money - lol. Then you start doing some of that economizing (nice way of saying CHEAP and compromising). Then you're on your own. Good luck.
- 'Doc

Beetle,
Only if you're in an electrical frame of mind...
I was in a bright, airy, fragrant state of mind. Which mean the curtains on the hole in my head were being 'fluttered' by the wind from the sewer leak in my backyard. Which is just another way of saying a 'brain fart'.
Geeze, late night, early morning, and not enough coffee. ... or was that an early night, late morning, and too @#$ much coffee? Ah, who cares, I'm going after coffee.
- 'Doc

well i suggest that u get a scanner.. for one they have all what u need vhf uhf an hf "fm". an for two this way u wont get the urge key that little ptt button on the side.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.