• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ultimate Ranger base/mobile setup

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I've been away from CB for over 30 years. If I were to choose an ultimate base station around the Ranger products which radio and equipment would you use if you were going to run about 1500 to 2000 watts with a Jogunn 6 beam? Would you start with a DX 2980 or a DX 2995 and why? Which amps would you run with it and why?

The second phase of the question is which Ranger mobile would you run if you were to only run about 1000 watts so you wouldn't have to do alternator mods to the car. The choices of radios would be the RCI 2950 DX or the RCI 2970 DX coupled with which amps and why?

To make it more tricky, keep in mind that I will probably get a HAM license at some point and like to use the HAM frequencies also.
If I went the HAM route would I be better served to use a HAM amplifier with the base?

I know this is a loaded post but Ranger is going to be my choice of radio for base and mobile and I want to build around it. Ive been told to actually start with the type amp I want to run and then choose the radio to go with it.

If you're going to run 2kW on a beam....

Why wouldn't you use an HF rig from the start so your signal is as clean as possible?

You are talking $3k in antenna/rotor/tower, $2k for any amp worth owning and you want to put a $300 CB driving it?

That's what I'd be talking about.

SR385 said:
If you're going to run 2kW on a beam....

Why wouldn't you use an HF rig from the start so your signal is as clean as possible?

You are talking $3k in antenna/rotor/tower, $2k for any amp worth owning and you want to put a $300 CB driving it?

This is the response I wanted. I never before went as far as HAM. I know nothing about HF radios and there true capabilities. I'm willing to make a considerable investment in equipment and at least wanted to have the antenna setup and amp that would carry me for a while if not to the end without spending money over and over because I'll find out it won't do what I need it to do. For $300 to $500 I was thinking it would be a nicer starter radio for me to get back into it and learn and still have capabilities that wouldn't limit me as much as other radios. At 50 years old I know it won't be just a fade thing. At the same time a full blown Ham radio I wouldn't really know how to operate. I'm a fast learner for sure. This starter radio could serve as a backup in the long run.

Since you mentioned it what specific brands or radios would you suggest so I can begin researching them. Some of the folk on some of the forums are just interested in being loud and making noise. Ultimately I'd like to be able to talk around the world. I was thinking this would be a way to get my feet wet so to speak.

For a new ham/returning operator to the bands.

I would recommend you look at

Yaesu FT-897D for base use or the sister radio
Yaesu FT-857D which is the same thing but smaller for mobile mounting.

These give you HF/6m/2m/70cm all in one radio.

The first tier of ham licensing (no morse code at all now btw, just theory tests, through extra (top) class) is Tech and the 2m/70cm will allow you to work repeaters with that license. Once you get General you can use the HF capabilities.

These two certainly aren't the only choices but they are IMO the best bang for the buck going.

The iCom 7000 is another that gives you 'all bands' and is significantly higher quality in DSP filtering and receive, but it's twice the price of the others.

I was away from CB for over fifteen years and decided to get back into radio this year. I found out the morse requirement was dropped and after putting it off for over twenty years, finally got my ham license. I've been very glad ever since.

Ham is for people who want to communicate with other people and who want the capability of communicating with people of many cultures, worldwide.

CB is useful for truckers/highway travel and is a playground for those who want to bust chops, 'key on', and otherwise interfere with other people. It has it's uses for that, but I'm not a teenager anymore and it's just not what I find fun.

I would strongly suggest that you just go Ham, you'll have a lot more fun with it, CB is not what it used to be these days.

FJR,
I think I would agree with 'SR385' at least about getting the license. It really isn't that difficult. A month or so of taking the on-line tests on 'QRZ' or where ever, or studying one of the license manuals, ought to get you anything from the tech to extra class license.
Equipment. I honestly hate to make people mad, but there's no comparison between CB and amateur equipment (you can guess which ones I think would come out ahead, right? :)). Sure, on the average ham stuff costs more. But then again, on an 'average', it will do at least eight times as much as any CB equipment will. (No, I'm not talking about power.) You obviously have a computer, so, I can't think of any mode you can't do with one, even the digital voice thingy (and no, I'm not talking about 'noise-toys'). If you can't set up a very nice station for under $2.5K, you just ain't trying!
And last but not least! "If you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat!"... naturally. Better hurry though, Kenwood won't be around as 'Kenwood' much longer (they are expanding, which probably means limiting their amateur line, too bad. With 'JVC' if I remember correctly?). Which to buy is more personal preference than anything else. I like Kenwood. I've owned at least one of almost everything else at one time or another. Get what you like using (hard to do without getting your hands on it first though).
- 'Doc

[Ham radio isn't dead, it isn't dying, but it is changing! Don't get 'stuck', change with it.]

For a new ham/returning operator to the bands.

I would recommend you look at

Yaesu FT-897D for base use or the sister radio
Yaesu FT-857D which is the same thing but smaller for mobile mounting.

These give you HF/6m/2m/70cm all in one radio.

I could not agree more, over the years I have spent thousands of dollars on radios, that the 897/857 will blow away in one unit. Are they cheap, well yes, if you look at things in the big picture.....

Jeff

well gotta agree with what has been posted already
but if ya wanna run rangers on 10meter ya can
if ya choose to.thier audio will be good as long as
a good tech dos the work.as far as running 1000 watts
in a mobile without alt. mods well imho thats not possible.
my reccomendaion for mobile is
preadator1ok antenna
wilson 5k roof mount
for base
2990/2995
ameritron al-80 b
now i know that some of ya are gonna disagree with me
but i was answering his post about using rangers on both
mobile and base

RADIO

I certainly would not spend that kind of money on a station for cb.
I have been doing CB since 1960 and it is still a lot of fun and a nice bunch of people, clubs etc., but as someone said I do ssb only, am only on the pipe companies net on Sunday.

Your investment should be a ham rig, as some said a yaesu or kenwood is fine . The tech license casn be passed in a week or two of study.

I would get a ham rig and for cb a ranger if that is what you want for cb, the sun spots will be back next year for 5 or 6 years for dx on 10 and 11 and 6 meters then after that period it will drop off to nothing, so the investment would be better off in ham gear and just one radio for cb.

Oh yes the doctor <me>here is a ham also..
My two cents.

DOCTOR :shock:

Let's be serious, even if just for a brief moment. NO offence to anyone with what I'm about to say. Please.

1500-2000 watts into a beam antenna using a $300.00 cb radio. May I have some of that money you're prepared to throw around? :shock:

If you're looking to drown out other cb radio operators or create rfi in your neighbourhood then you're on the right path. Otherwise, join an amateur radio club and/or find an elmer. There's still good people around willing to be mentors for prospective amateur radio operators.

Believe me, once you find out what real radio is about, you'll never look back. CB radio is fun, I know. I've been a CB operator longer than most of the posters here have been alive. I've talked around the world on less than 100 watts.

My advice to you. Get started back into the hobby the right way.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.