• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 amplifier suggestions

Again, why is the modulator only producing 14W peak? The 2290 with an 8W input from the radio should put out 50W @12.5V and automobiles circuits when running as well as power supplies in your house operate at 13.8V which increases the output of the amp. SO, why is the modulator only producing a 3W carrier and 14W peak? 14W isn't much more than the 8W coming out of the radio so it doesn't surprise me that you 500 isn't producing much extra when the Mod is inline.

Again, why is the modulator only producing 14W peak? The 2290 with an 8W input from the radio should put out 50W @12.5V and automobiles circuits when running as well as power supplies in your house operate at 13.8V which increases the output of the amp. SO, why is the modulator only producing a 3W carrier and 14W peak? 14W isn't much more than the 8W coming out of the radio so it doesn't surprise me that you 500 isn't producing much extra when the Mod is inline.

im wondering if the mod v is working correctly?? cause that definately not right

The mod v works fine on 20-25W radios.
Forget about a texas star, this radio aint gonna drive one period!
Although i like texas star. Lookin at tnt / X-force l, something low drive with driver built in.
Thx everyone

I have a 980 as well. I was told by a radio tec that a small TS v plus will drive fine with a stock 980 is this true? In order to use a 500v with a 980 won't u need to drive into it with a smaller amp like a vplus to get it up to 45-60 watts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

LMAO!! Its a common misconception or understanding in this topic, I just wish I could help people understand and believe this before they waste money on power levels that the only person thats gonna notice is them on there own power meter which isnt 9 times outta 10 accurate anyways.

I wasnt even gonna get started on where the most important begins (ANTENNA) and where the fun is as far as power level and the difference between that and spending more many than needed just to make no difference at all on the receiving end if its signal meter or just the human ear.

I could sit allday and explain how I dont even run my big amateur amplifiers other than at a 1/4 to 1 1/2 there rated power out because theres no need to when Im making my contacts just Idling along on the Watt meter reading.

As far as antenna we were messing around on 75 meters 3.913.0 lastweek and a group of us was runnin1 watt and some 2 watts whatever each idividual radio would drop down to on its lowest output power and we were giving oneanother anywhere from S6-S8 allnight and just laughing because there were people signing in running 1.5KW as usual and we would say hey we see your running your amp and we are playing QRP tonight and others would start doing the same and alot of the guys were lauphing because they were so entigued because they never knew thay could do what we were doin ;)

Its a learning thing to people everywhere and it doesnt matter how old the operator is or was because some just simply didnt know how good it worked aslong as you had a antenna that resonated good at the particular operating frequency ;)

Unless a person tries it and or experiments there gonna keep insisting on the more power the better and spending alot of money to back thta theory. Ive been there done that and got the T-Shirt im now ahead of that money game and have shown and helped others with understanding this.

Im just here to help not drag anyone down and once people relize the true way RF output works at its levels than they figure the rest out for themselves because it gets fun and cool when learning these things which are not secrets and its all right out there at ones fingertips to research.

I dont know about anyone else but I LOVE TO SAVE WHATEVER MONEY I CAN!! and not spend what I dont have to or on that few watts that no meter or ear is gonna see because we all know that Watts = $$$$$$$ But thats just me and you didnt get this info from me because Im not one to gossip LOL!! ;)

The mod v works fine on 20-25W radios.
Forget about a texas star, this radio aint gonna drive one period!
Although i like texas star. Lookin at tnt / X-force l, something low drive with driver built in.
Thx everyone

I ran a stock 959 into a 4x1446 and got around 300 watts of clean power from it...I think a well-tuned, barefoot, type-accepted radio into a straight 4-pill is about ideal.

I think 8 watts into a 1x4 will easily saturate the amp...and not in a good way. I want to remember I was running less than 2 watts into a 1x4 Fatboy, and getting nearly 150 watts of dead key and well over 600 watts of swing on a feel good meter.

Personally, I'd be figuring out why your setup isn't working...what you have is essentially a 5-pill with the modulator in front of the four pill. I agree with others, there is something up with the modulator.

I dont know about anyone else but I LOVE TO SAVE WHATEVER MONEY I CAN!! and not spend what I dont have to or on that few watts that no meter or ear is gonna see because we all know that Watts = $$$$$$$ But thats just me and you didnt get this info from me because Im not one to gossip LOL!! ;)

That's me...after bouncing from stock, to peaked radios, then the big radio, and then getting into the small 2-pill amp, then the 4-pill amp, then the 5-pill...I'm back to a 100-watt barefoot radio in one car and a 2-pill behind the radio in the other.

If I had to do it again (from what I've learned), it would be a barefoot radio and a 4-pill amplifier...good clean power, amp is just loafing along, and no special radio tuning needed.

Reactions: 1 person
If I had to do it again (from what I've learned), it would be a barefoot radio and a 4-pill amplifier...good clean power, amp is just loafing along, and no special radio tuning needed.

Now that right there is what Im talking about!! Thank you for chiming in and getting my point out there. I am in noway attacking 11 meter users because I started there and still talk on a net on Tuesday nights on 27.375.0 and as Ive said I just want to help people make mistakes Ive made or that I see and have seen others make.

Its easier when a person is here in Wisconsin so I can physically show a person. Otherwise its all just words, talk and mumbo jumbo. Antennas are so importa I have severalnt I have several and can do the same with running same antenna it is the foundation of your setup. I explain to people when they talk about my signal that I can take a kraco CB or an old 23 channel and its going to getout just as good because its all about that antenna you are transmitting or getting your signal out with.

If anybody isnt understanding what Im saying here you pick the band 160 - `the 440 and Ill meet ya on thee air and flip between several antennas with out changing my output and the you will get it. Heck Ide even swap radios around between Yaesu, Kenwood, Alinco Icom and Ill even switch radios around on 10 11 and 12 meters As far as CB, glorified CB or 10 meter Radios Ill run them all at same low power of the same antennas.

Im gonna tell yyou what I tell alot of people and thats the fist 250 watts is the best bang for the buck spentand is absolutely going to be the biggest jump or improvement you are going to see or others notice. In my opinion a 4 output transistor amplifier is all you will ever need and actually utilize if you even ever really have to pull it off medium power to begin with ;) Anything above that is simply a waste of money.

Yeah I know theres a few of you just rolling your eyes talking to yourself and computer screen right now saying "This guy is a moron and he has no clue because billy bob and joe radio are my best buddies and they tell me all the time when I ask how I sound YOU SOUND FANTABULOUS AND SIMPLY LOUD AMAZING AND AWSOME!!" Wel Im sure they do and if its big amplifiers that makes your heart skip a beat maybe Illl sell you one of mine that just sits in the closet shlf in the colection ;)

Ive been down this road and its in the past becase I just learned and go smarter as I went along. A little reserch can take you along way and shock you I mean heck I shock myself several times a year with researching. Ive done testing on my own just to make sure the article wasnt a fluke but we all feel better whan just making sure or confirming what we are reading and or trying to understand. Like I said I do it all the time.

Anyways Im gonna ruffle feathers again here quick but guess what....as fae as all the amplifiers out there now THe Texas Star DX500 is my favorite and has nt vote. I own a few of them but I prefer the (NON) varible models. I ve brandnew Texas Star DX1600 (sweet sixteen) and outta here I said because that 4 X 2879 transiter amplifier gets me to everywhere and pretty much anywhere I want to talk or make a contact and without extra $$$$ spent on a bigger or mor transtor complient amplifier and I do it on Medium power.

Ohh yeah and I didndt have to spend more money for a bigger and revamped charging system to run the extra transistors that actually after a certain point made no difference that I thought I just had to have to get out and be heard to make that contact it wouldve took 100 Watts to accomplish. Or how about having to by those DC power supplies you need touble up to get the amperage you need to work that big amplifier!!

Been there done that to buit all done with it and wasting time or money. Texas Star DX500 is the way to go and you will never need another amplifer running it mobile or base buit good AND BIASED THE WAY AN AMP SHOULD BE. tAKE THIS IN, tHE AMERITRON ALS-500 mobile amplifier covers 160 - 10 meters.....Pssssssssst...... Best and most interesting part is they run 4 X 2SC2879 Tansistors just like the Texas Star 500 does.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.