• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 and Road Devil problems

nitman007

Sep 8, 2012
I just got a new Bearcat 980SSB and did not like the stock mic so I went over to T/A and bought a Road Devil. What a disaster! I had my wife tune in to channel 30 (which was quiet) on the scanner in the house and I started talking on the garage. (yes on channel 30) She said my voice was garbled and could not make out what I was saying and that was with the volume on the mic at 1/4 only. So I then switched back to the stock mic and she said I was very clear. What is going on? I am a real amateur with radios but I am very surprised the RD mic was so bad? And yes I had a brand new 9V battery in the mic. What gives?

Ok, your inside the garage talking and the scanner is maybe 30 feet away in the house? Do like Binrat said, run the radio at 50% mic gain and start the mic at 25%. Then I would drive down the street maybe a half mile.

The Road Devil for me has always been a touchy mic. They call it a power mic but then stick a lip guard on there to get you to get up on it like a Road King. At best one out of three radio's I try sound good with a Road Devil.

I have had much better luck with the 2018 power echo mics's, and the 575M6 Astatic.

I also say you overloading the frontend of the scanner being so close to it ;) How do you like that new uniden? I think there kinda cool Im not into the CB line od radios but that one is pretty neat!!

If it was clear with the stock mic,Most likely the problem is with the road devil. you need to set it up with someone on another CB radio to tell for sure. take it back and have the teck a the TA test it...Can you have it tested on another radio.
Copper has it on email special this week. But all the reviews are bad on it.
RoadDevil seems like a gamble to me.

Ive had a road devil on my uniden 980 for two weeks now and talk on it daily with no problems. Sounds like you were too close to your scanner during the test. Put about a mile of distane between the 980 and the scanner and try it again. I run my 980 with the mic gain all the way up on the radio, and 1/4 of the way up on the road devil. I also unsoldered my stock mic plug from the stock mic and soldered it to the road devil to eliminate the need for the adapter. I have another thread on here for the mic wiring of the 980, if u need help hit me up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.