• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 not transmitting

The finals in those radios are very weak ones. If you'll do some research you'll see that even stock they can blow with a long winded conversation. I set my radio wattage back to 10 watt pep on SSB and 2 watt dead key on am swinging to 4-6 watts. Plenty to drive a small amp. Or even a larger one. Take it to a shop if you don't have the proper test gear. The radio will need to be re tuned. Like I said do some research. You don't need a bunch of watts to make the amp work and the extra 4 or 5 watts you get out of the radio just makes more heat and not really a squat of difference to the receiveing station. JMHO.
youre not kidding!

Thanks for that post about the Pres Mckinley box I appreciuate having the SM but its definityely not the same board as my 2 90s. A quick look at the board layout and my radios is so different its not funny. Example, on mine the ground is on the center pin of the final and the mckinley its on the far left. So, even the 2 finals are different GDS config. I suppose I could just scope the output before the finals and see if I can drive it into a different output type like a 1306 and 1307 set up. Im just so effing sick of the fakes out there. I wish I could get a source that wouldnt be screwing the nation out with these fakes of all types.

i got 2 of those cheepo radios
sadly if uniden woulda invested a itty bit more $$$ they could built a best radio.
i removed 1 from service in 1 of our big trucks that couldnt take it . not used much either. as soon as i finde right radio the other 1 is coming out of truck #2.
if somebody dearly loves these radios id gladly trade em off or sell em

i got 2 of those cheepo radios
sadly if uniden woulda invested a itty bit more $$$ they could built a best radio.
i removed 1 from service in 1 of our big trucks that couldnt take it . not used much either. as soon as i finde right radio the other 1 is coming out of truck #2.
if somebody dearly loves these radios id gladly trade em off or sell em
Im going to figure out how I can make a new transmitter section with more common parts. I think the old standard 2078 transistor would work great on AM but on SSB wouldn't push more than 5 watts peak but using a small linear would fix that. 2078 transistors are cheap. Using a pair of 1306 and 1307 gets us back into the world of fakes. Im even worried about buying them from Rfparts.com. I was able to swap out my good mosfet for the bad one and it worked fine until I tried to calibrate ssb because some clown jacked it up too high. Had to replace a surface mount 10 ohm resistor that can't handle ssb mode. It keeps overheating. I removed the good mosfet and put it back into the good radio and its working fine so.it didnt fry my good mosfet. Gonna try to draw up the schematic for the output and see what I can re-engineer on a breadboard.

Im going to figure out how I can make a new transmitter section with more common parts. I think the old standard 2078 transistor would work great on AM but on SSB wouldn't push more than 5 watts peak but using a small linear would fix that. 2078 transistors are cheap. Using a pair of 1306 and 1307 gets us back into the world of fakes. Im even worried about buying them from Rfparts.com. I was able to swap out my good mosfet for the bad one and it worked fine until I tried to calibrate ssb because some clown jacked it up too high. Had to replace a surface mount 10 ohm resistor that can't handle ssb mode. It keeps overheating. I removed the good mosfet and put it back into the good radio and its working fine so.it didnt fry my good mosfet. Gonna try to draw up the schematic for the output and see what I can re-engineer on a breadboard.
Why? The radio works well with the parts that were used in the as built design.

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb
Why? The radio works well with the parts that were used in the as built design.
Why you ask? Just read up about the history of the transmitter section of this radio and you will understand why. I could go on and on about the problems but I'd be writing boring stories for days.

Why you ask? Just read up about the history of the transmitter section of this radio and you will understand why. I could go on and on about the problems but I'd be writing boring stories for days.
I don't see a problem with it. Enlighten me, I'm bored.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I don't see a problem with it. Enlighten me, I'm bored.
I will be experimenting with replacing the transmitter section. But for now its on the back burner. If yours survived, thats good. Mine however will be modified.

I bought a 980SSb several years ago. Tried it on the bench, and really wasn't very impressed. I heard so many horror stories about the weak final and the fragile VRs's that I didn't touch it. Packed it back up in the box and put it on the shelf. It's still there.
- 399 J.J.

I will be experimenting with replacing the transmitter section. But for now its on the back burner. If yours survived, thats good. Mine however will be modified.
You do realize, that the Mitsu final is no longer used in the current production units?

I bought a 980SSb several years ago. Tried it on the bench, and really wasn't very impressed. I heard so many horror stories about the weak final and the fragile VRs's that I didn't touch it. Packed it back up in the box and put it on the shelf. It's still there.
- 399 J.J.
and i got 2 ,removed 1 from use. not sure if im fixing it or selling package deal. expensive junk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.