• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I call Uniden the other day. Looks like they won't let out a schematic diagram for the 980,

Uniden has been that way for a long time.
Even when they sent the radio to the FCC`s test facility they filed with the FCC to not disclose some info in the approval process.
See the Link below.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=934639&fcc_id=%27AMWUT390%27

Click the line that says:
Confidential Letter, That tells the whole story.

Next they will use tamper-proof screws and JB weld to keep you from looking inside......

Jeff

Uniden has been that way for a long time.
Even when they sent the radio to the FCC`s test facility they filed with the FCC to not disclose some info in the approval process.
See the Link below.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=934639&fcc_id=%27AMWUT390%27

Click the line that says:
Confidential Letter, That tells the whole story.

Next they will use tamper-proof screws and JB weld to keep you from looking inside......

Jeff

This is going to really shoot down the repair shops who might try to do repairs. Looks like it will have to go back to Uniden for that.

Thanks for the link

If Uniden keeps this up their gonna kill the radio before it takes off. They have a chance to reclaim fame. After using mine for a month I gotta say Im happy but I gotta get the beep turned off, its starting to get to me.

Not to worry, a good radio guy will figure it out if it is not working.
True it is SMT, but RF is RF, there is no magic, radios still work like radios, just the parts are very small and it takes a good eye, the right tools and a steady hand.

Jeff

If Uniden keeps this up their gonna kill the radio before it takes off. They have a chance to reclaim fame. After using mine for a month I gotta say Im happy but I gotta get the beep turned off, its starting to get to me.

Unfortunately for us who bought the 980, the beep can't be turned off. I emailed Uniden about it and they said;

Your Question:
I bought the Bearcat 980SSB, how do I turn off the beeping sound everytime I press, turn something on the radio. It is really loud and getting annoying. Please advise.

Our Solution:
Thank you for using our system.
Unfortunately those beeps can not be turned off.

Sincerely,

You may respond to this message to update your question.

Track the issue status and respond at:
Customer Support

Reference No: W333076-0724
Email Address: 880**********@gmail.com
Product: CB Radios
Product: BEARCAT980SSB
Product: ALL ITEMS
Created On: 7/24/2012 10:01:00 AM
Update Date: 7/30/2012 7:42:28 AM

And there you have it. Unless a tech can figure out how to disable the beep, we'll have to live with it.

Just turn up your stereo. Or leave the windows rolled down. :laugh:

Hard to believe they "oops'd" that feature. Seems easy enough to have put it somewhere in the menu. Other than that, sure looks like a nice rig.

RT307

I was at DTB Radio last Friday, hanging around for awhile while Dave performed his magic on a dud that I brought him. We talked a little about the new Uniden line. He did say in passing that he is messing with a 680 radio getting channels in it, knowing Dave and his ability I am sure he will crack the code for channels and clairfier unlock when he gets time. Seems the guy is just very busy all the time.

I'm not a gambler but my money is on Dave at DTB Radio to figure it out. I'd even send him mine to try it out on, that's how confident I am in his ability.

No doubt that Dave is capable.

Unless he also wears a software programming hat and can compile and decompile code necessary to flash the radios ROM, then he'll wait in line with the rest of the techs. If I possessed that knowledge, fixing CB radios would be a side hobby.

This rig has been out long enough and has likely been molested by all the big well known techs with no enchilada yet.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for us who bought the 980, the beep can't be turned off. I emailed Uniden about it and they said;

And there you have it. Unless a tech can figure out how to disable the beep, we'll have to live with it.

I dont get what they were thinking. I think I read the 880 can have the beep shut off.

Forget extra channel mod's, disabling the beep would be the first one I'd love for someone to figure out. Great radio so far, but it doesn't take long for that beep to get to you. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so loud.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.