• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

I'm guessing that with SMT,the FCC is having a field day especially with the 980. Someday there may be no more modifiable radios in that it may become law some day soon that all radios are CPU controlled. I have my CRE-8900 and now that the FCC has come crashing down on companies that would import such radios to the good ole land of the free and home of the brave,others may follow.

Nothing to say really, just wanted to make this thread even bigger.:bdh:

The computer people can hack computers and websites to do things they wernt made to do, the cell phone people can hack a phone n flash its rom n make it do things it wasnt made to do. The tunners can hack a cars computer n make it do things it wasnt made to do. In this day n age of tech stuff there is someone out there with a hack for the tech. Someone can hack this radio we just havent found em cause they probobly have no intrest in radios.

True, but if this processor has a locked boot loader or something similar your out of luck.

There are plenty of radio oriented program developers, many of which, have already looked at this radio and said blah!

There are probably a few old executive type codgers left at Uniden that have told the current R&D guys... "it ain't worth it to allow it to be converted".

In that case just buy an 10 meter radio that's got a neat front end. The 980 has it's place on 11 meters. If a ham that is buddy buddy with some FCC official can do what has happened to the CRE-8900,think of what kind of conversations must be going on between Uniden and the FCC

Last edited:
This is why I mention that when I get one on my bench, I am going to map out the mixing scheme on the radio, and do some research on the processor chip they use in the radio. While I might not be able to crack the processor chip, I might be able to inject a different mixing frequency, either by swapping out a crystal, with a crystal oscillator, or thru a reference divider. I just gotta get a radio on my bench and map everything out, check every angle. Never hurts to do that... I'm sure I'll learn something about it in the process. Knowledge is power. (y)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
RF Gain is to coarse.

I have ran the 980 in my truck for about a week now and I am, for the most part, pleased with the radio. The beep thing is not an issue with me, it lets me know that I pushed a button without looking at the radio, maybe louder than necessary, but I wouldn't get rid of it. The expanded channel issue is not a problem for me either, I have other radio's with all of the channels and I don't use them.

The recieve is pretty good, but I find that the RF Gain is a bit coarse. There 15 different Brightness settings for any color, plus Day/night and only 5 different levels for the RF Gain. The Local/Distant is a nice feature, but you can't fine tune the recieve, either put up with some static or nothing. I like to use the RF Gain and feather in the static. The squelch has to many false triggers for me.

Anyone know how to get 15 segments on the RF Gain instead of the 5?

I've read this entire thread tonight and new to the board. I've had the 980 for a couple weeks now and still just playing with it. I have it in my Jeep for trail/travel comm.,weather, and ssb for if I need to reach out in an emergency. So far I've made no side band connects here in the Midwest tho. Gonna grab a 102" antenna to get me out a bit further before I try the amp. My problem tho is this won't help when I'm on the trails as most offroad parks won't allow 102" whips and really not very practical in regards to low hanging branches. So, here are my real questions...1-If I do run an amp, will the factory wattage over drive the amp?(would it be best to take it to shop to have the dead key turned down) I don't wanna bleed over and annoy folks but I would like the ability to run amplified or unamplified as necessary.2-Gonna take a gander before I go to bed, but in regards to the local/distant function-is this controlled by the RF gain? I guess I never really paid attention to it until someone mentioned it here. I know this is a lot but I'm new and want to learn.

well i have not tried this radio i do know ,you,ll need to know the ouput
of this radio on am and ssb. and depending on that you may need to
turn back the ssb power to 10-12 watts. and am 1-2 watt carrier.
if the radio is already in these specs then no you,ll be ok.a klv 60
will match up nicely. as for splatter theres nothing you can do
if your on trails together just so close gonna splatter. your best bet
would be to scan channels 1-34 am and find one thats not locally used
and use that one channel as your club channel and everyone just use
that 1 channel. channel 35-40 is usually most used for ssb .as for the whip
ya its long but if the swaying part has ya worried you can always put a tennis
ball in the middle or tie it off .gunny pucks has a 6 inch riser to replace the spring
so it doesnt sway as much either.

Great info on the stand off for a 102" whip to replace the spring. For highway driving the antenna height doesn't bother me.offroad parks view them as a hazard when those things start zipping around every time it hits a low tree branch and from a personal stand point it would get annoying too. I have a 3' fiberglass for this reason. Been doing a little more reading and it does look like they are they are coming from the factory @ 3-3.5 watts from the factory so it would need to be turned back for something like the RM's 203P I been looking into. All I got tho is the SWR meter from the truck stop for adjusting my antenna and don't know that I should be going in and turning pots with limited equipment/knowledge:unsure: Thanks again for your input. I'll be looking into that Gunny stand off you mentioned and steeling a tennis ball from the dog:D for that whip.

I've read this entire thread tonight and new to the board. I've had the 980 for a couple weeks now and still just playing with it. I have it in my Jeep for trail/travel comm.,weather, and ssb for if I need to reach out in an emergency. So far I've made no side band connects here in the Midwest tho. Gonna grab a 102" antenna to get me out a bit further before I try the amp. My problem tho is this won't help when I'm on the trails as most offroad parks won't allow 102" whips and really not very practical in regards to low hanging branches. So, here are my real questions...1-If I do run an amp, will the factory wattage over drive the amp?(would it be best to take it to shop to have the dead key turned down) I don't wanna bleed over and annoy folks but I would like the ability to run amplified or unamplified as necessary.2-Gonna take a gander before I go to bed, but in regards to the local/distant function-is this controlled by the RF gain? I guess I never really paid attention to it until someone mentioned it here. I know this is a lot but I'm new and want to learn.

You can turn the dead key down yourself. I'd learn how if I were you rather than taking it to a shop. It's pretty easy on the 980

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.