• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Bearcat 980 or GALAXY DX 979

980 is more stable but no extra freq and while audio is good, not booming. Won't swing like 979 especially on AM. 979 has lots of mods available.

I like the 979 cause it's easy to match with amps, has variable power. 980 is a great SSB radio with clean audio but less you can do to it.

The uniden will match to any amp as well. And is much more stable on SSB. Not a powerhouse and not many mods, but it's a small radio that for the money does well. Galaxy radios are good AM radios, they just drift too much for SSB use IMO. I guess it boils down to what you talk on most, AM or SSB like posted above.

Reactions: mrgumby
I have a 980 in my DD, and the SSB is VERY quiet, in regards to background noise. With a KL-203, I talked on it to near El Paso, from Buffalo, NY one sunny fall day. :cool:

I run a 949 in my RC, which is primarily an offroad toy. With a steel whip and a small Fatboy, it SWR's @ 1.0, which is pretty schweet. I like both, and both work well in their intended applications.

I have the 980 and have made some good contacts on sideband with just 12 watts and a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna on my pickup. I have had a few lengthy conversations from Texas to California and out east as well.

I have been told it is a very good sounding radio by quite a few operators without me asking. But they also tell me it needs a little heat behind it.

I also have used it at home on a dipole antenna with decent results. But here the last couple of days I have had very little luck making contacts even when skip is rolling in.

But like others says therare many mods that can be done to the Galaxy.

the optima is a good radio, no doubt about it, u can run 10-11 meters, great filtration, and ready out of the box with the minor conversion...i am planning one for base use in the future.....

if 11 meters is all you want, such as i am currently contemplating for my use in my car, then i am leaning towards the uniden as I do SSB 99% of the time. I also really like the idea of having the instant weather band in the cb.

The 979 is also a good radio, and I like the "BIG" analog meter myself, if it only had the weather channels, that is what I would get because I can live with the minor drift issue by leaving it on all the time.

so in summary strictly for 11m i am leaning towards the uniden right now until makers come out with a big analog meter SSB radio with weather band.

good day

Last edited:
depending on where you purchase it, a big meter isn't impossible with the uniden . my 2950 is wired for an external signal meter through the PA plug.

This really helps. I have Cobra 29 wxnwst, and replaced it with a small quad band mobile amateur radio with weather, and now I miss 11m. The two radios are just too much for my Toyota Tundra, so I was just looking to sell the Cobra 29 and get a smaller 11m SSB.

after a 2 min warm up I could talk for a long time and never adjust the claifer. was useing as a base radio with power supply. It worked great for me

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.