• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant LT question.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
Does any one else have or have ever had one of these. I have one that is is Philippine built and the receive absolutely sucks! It has been tuned using an oscilloscope and it still sucks. I have tried different coax and antennas with no change and its still very poor using my Imax 2000. It's like say a Galaxy export radio that has the RF gain turned back 3/4's of the way. It's even hard to hear the boys on the bowl! The side band receive is fine but the AM is very poor.

Is this a problem these radios have or could it be something else. My tech had for a week and could find nothing wrong with it and he had no clue as to why the receive is so poor. Help!

You all may know this but it does have that Dynamic Squelch Control as well, don't know if that makes a difference or not. But i know that of the few Cobras i have had with this feature ( called a sound tracker ) none of them had a very strong receive compared to a standard Cobra 29 classic either.

the radios with sound trackers in them got bad names because of the sound trackers , if you didn't use them , there was and should not have been any problems with the radios there after and they would TX and RX with the best of them , you just didn't use the ST feature. Your Grant XL and LT are basically the same radio . The LTs have the nice back lite knobs and what not , the last SSB cb radio Uniden put out . They are both known for there better then average receive sections in them. Yours is obviously having a AM receive problem and it shouldn't , especially on that radio. Unfortunately , not very many tech's have been posting up around here of late , yeah sure , it's easy for somebody to tell you to send it to DTB and whomever , but your own tech couldn't figure it out ? They are damned good radios , and with some patience you might get the answer your looking for . I wouldn't mind hearing whats wrong with this one myself ? I've never really heard of this kind of problem before on these radios.

It's a great radio other than the receive problem and every one says that it sounds great on am and ssb. I did a little test today and learned that i really only have a range of a bout 5 miles or so. Anything further out then that unless they are using power and i don't hear them at all! I don't even hear any skip no matter how strong it is, no static nothing. Now if i turn the volume all the way up i can hear some faint stations but not that well so i don't know. Its almost like i have the squelch turned up to high but i checked it and i don't.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.