• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Introduces 3 new CB Radios -- Radical new designs

I purchased the Pro505xl because it was on sale for $35 no shipping charges and on a tax free weekend. It fits well in the center console of my econobox because it's so narrow.

Works fine for what it is, a basic radio. I believe it has an ANL built in but without a switch to turn it on and off because it sounds similar to other radios I have with the ANL in the on position. On my other radios if I have the ANL in the off position I hear all sorts of random crackling popping noise, switch it on and there is a hiss but it's fairly smooth just the pro505xl sounds.

It doesn't have a Noise Blanker, when I use my power windows or turn my fan blower on high it picks up that noise.

I'd say it's good for the price, basic small radio. I measured a full 4 watts out of it dead key and it swings up to about 6 when talking.

I have a few of the radios mentioned in this thread. My favorite by far is the Cherokee AH-100. I own 2 of them. One gets use in the house, in the boat, in the car, while I'm riding my bike, etc. The 2nd AH-100 sits untouched, brand new in the box ready for active duty when the 1st one dies. The walkie talkie with SSB capabilities is an ingenious idea and a blast to QSO with. I've even wired up a Turner +3 base mic for it. Folks on SSB are amazed when I tell them they are talking to a walkie talkie.

I purchased a Uniden Bearcat 980 back in September. With some 30 radios here, I didn't need another. A good price - much cheaper than the SSB drifting Galaxy line - tempted me. I was so impressed with the 980 that I bought a second one a month later. With an Astatic 636L, I've been repeatedly told not to change a thing because the audio quality is top notch.

I purchased a 505 about a year ago. It is a terrific performer. The receive is excellent. It is plenty sensitive but it does a good job of filtering out ignition noise.

Uniden did well with both the 505 and the 980. Now, if they'd only come out with an SSB walkie talkie...

(You know, so you can turn the power down when talking to a nerarby station to keep from overloading his front end) :D

I remember reading on CBRT, a trucker "special ordered" a Radioactive radios General Lee with the superwackpack on a switch so he could cut it off to keep from overdriving nearby trucker radios! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

a dummy load on a switchbox works better

I purchased a Uniden Bearcat 980 back in September. With some 30 radios here, I didn't need another. A good price - much cheaper than the SSB drifting Galaxy line - tempted me. I was so impressed with the 980 that I bought a second one a month later. With an Astatic 636L, I've been repeatedly told not to change a thing because the audio quality is top notch.

I get many compliments on the quality sound of my 980SSB too. I had it aligned and had the annoying beep removed. I run a Rf Limited 2018 mic on the radio. It took me a while to get used to the radio but once I did I really like it. My biggest complaint is that it can't be modded to freeband. I usually use my Magnum S45hp and get my numbers called often. But the recieve has gone out on my Magnum and it's on the its way to the repair shop. It is alot more difficult to get my numbers called with the barefoot 980, but with a little heat behind it I should be talking all over.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.