• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

uniden pc122xl

well, i ended up trading in the 122 and a 68 for a very nice 148gtl philly in great shape at my local techs shop. so far, I dont miss the 2 radios and the 148 has excellent rx and getting loud audio reports on am, which I was a little surprised at.

PC-122XL - Great Radio

Over the last 10 years or so I have owned 4 or 5 of the PC-122's and the PC-122XL's. For some reason as yet unknown to me I would sell them or trade them for something else.
(The grass is always green'r I guess)
Anyway a while after selling or trading one I would start to miss having one and start looking for another one. I found another PC-122XL in pristine "AS NEW - UNMODIFIED" condition and won the auction. When I received the radio I was VERY happy to see it was exactly as described.
"THIS TIME" I am going to keep it. I have used it mobile in the van for a while and it works great. I just did a little tune up on it. It is set at 3 watts (AM) and 12 watts (SSB) as this is what my Killer Bee DX250HDV likes. I use ether a 575M6 or a 636L mic and it sounds great. Nothing but clean - clear - smooth audio.
I think they are a great little radio that will give many years of service if it is not abused by over driving it.
I have it set up in the shack right now as I have a newly aquired Grant XL that has been set up by Steve at Q5 Communications in the van. Great radio as well.
I dont think you can go wrong with a PC-122XL. A great radio.
Set it up for good clean clear audio and you will be happy with it Im sure. Enjoy.

pc122xl<uniden>

Yes I think they are a good radio I dont think the drift is that much noticeable unless I talk over ten minutes or so to a local<30 miles> on LSB.
I use a turner plus mic and the radio is a screamer the compression mic cuts right on thru the dx chnl 38, running the radio with a small helper and I mean small..
The fan does keep the case cool...
doctor :shock:

pc122xl

Yep if they had continued to make them it would be a number 1 product in this year, I as you do wouldn't get rid of it
cheers/73

Re: pc 122xl/drift

After I NPC'd the radio it ran alot cooler... but I then added a small heat sink behind the finals AND audio IC.. that really made the difference .. and I really tried to push that little radio hard, I would"nt care to push it that hard without the heat sinks, but that NPC mod and jumping the modulation over to an earlier stage sure helped with heat.
The NPC mod and heat sinks sure let me push the radio harder.

But to get back to your topic... Yes mine would drift a bit in the cold. I'm up in Canada and we get some COLD days.. I would notice some drift from the cold temps.
But it would'nt take long to warn the radio up at least LOL

I actually mounted a small fan inside the radio in a similar way.

doctor said:
I have one of those radios, and I have a drift on ssb not much but enough after talking 10 minutes or so they notice it. I noticed someone said how hot it gets and heating up the components could cause this drift<I am not a tech>, so I put a small fan under it feeding into the spkr holes<I dont see any other way>, but noticed the radio cabinet has cooled off somewhat, but havent talked long on ssb to see the problem again or to see if the cooling effect has helped.

Does one believe this could help????

pc122 xl

I think there was one on hamtrader Sunday with an amp also, and one Saturday also for $50

A little more info about this radio:

http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=11822

Hulkster said:
This is what my baby can do >
(after I played with it) :p

dsc000732dr.jpg

AM (7 watts carrier) >

dsc000771aj.jpg

AM (20 watts PEP) >

dsc000808ez.jpg

SSB (20 watts PEP) >

dsc000838sx.jpg

dsc000852te.jpg

I love this radio!
It has given to me many years of service without problems.
My little giant. ;)

:D

Thats pretty much what mine would do... I believe mine did about 8 watts carrier swing to 17... If I wanted I could turn that sucker down to under 1 watt swing to 17.
I put in a homebrew compressor in mine and man that thing sounded good.
They are a pretty decent radio and not bad on side considering they are only single conversion radios.

You sure got yours workin, thats for sure

I have 2 PC122 1 I added channels and cut clarifier and its doing 20 watts sideband great audio set at 100% but clean audio its a very sturdy reliable radio only problem with both radios is channel readout segments are burnt out and one has no sound from speaker internal or external was like that when I bought it I put a new audio chip in and it still has no sound from speaker good radio I borrowed the good one out while I fixed the guys cobra 148 and now hes asking me everytime I talk to him if I am ready to sell that 122 yet and i am thinking I will I just have so many radios that would be the only reason otherwise Ill just keep it so hes gonna have to catch me at the right time and take it right there and then before i changed my mind. Its kind of funny such a tiny radio but big sound. Also those boards are eactly what the radio shack trc-465 SSB radios use when you see the uniden pc122 mods there will be the radio shack trc-465 also listed. As far as the clarifier mod you have to turn that knob very slowly its touchy. Still an A+ radio

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.