• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

unknown amp?? any ideas?

camaro1

Nov 2, 2012
wisconsin
unknown amp?? any ideas? a local has this for sale for a pretty good price, no info other than it says eight hundred on the front panel?

1X4

Attachments

• 1 small.jpg
    1 small.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • 2 small.jpg
    2 small.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 3 small.jpg
    3 small.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 00I0I_dC3sqbJyuPy_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_dC3sqbJyuPy_600x450.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: 1 person

That is a TX-800. Not sure who made them but it was rumored to have come from the remnants of the original Palomar. IIRC there should be a second board in there, also a 1X4 combo effectively making it a 2x8

Damn fine amp- one of the best I've ever owned (and have always regretted selling). In proper working order they are positively devastating and will PEP close to 1kW on SSB.

When they pop up on ebay they seldom go cheap. There was a second version of them labled 'LA900' Same amp, different label.

What made them unique was the 'heat' LED on the front panel. Even with those two fans it would get hot, and if it got a bit too warm it would shut down to protect itself.

Really a nice amp. The pics show it to be clean inside which means it hasn't been run hard. If you can get it under $275 or so, buy it. You won't be disappointed.

Just make sure you don't overdrive it, it can breathe and you have about 90-100 amps to feed it. Use the heaviest gauge wire you can find.

Reactions: 2 people
I remember them badboys!!! Those not only hammered but sounded great and were buit the way and amplifier should be!! That thing is clean!!! Nobody has diddled in that one forsure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.