• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unsolved Mysteries in the CB Industry

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
1. Cobra not following up their 29LX model with a SSB version.

2. Uniden apparently not correcting the flaw in the display of their Bearcat 980 model. (The 880 might have the same problem, I don’t know). There are far too many complaints about the 980 displays failing after just a year or less of use. The last one I owned had a problem when I purchased it brand new. Looking at it head-on, it wasn’t very bright (despite being on the highest setting). As I moved to the right, it quickly grew dimmer and eventually blacked out, and as I moved to the left, it grew brighter. The best view was at a 45 degree angle from the left.

3. The ProComm Patriot base antenna. It simply appears to be their 18’ version with the middle 6’ section missing, leaving it at 12’ in length with a thick, sturdy bottom section, a flimsy top section and all kinds of SWR problems.

I’m sure there are others, but these three stick out to me.

2. Uniden apparently not correcting the flaw in the display of their Bearcat 980 model. (The 880 might have the same problem, I don’t know). There are far too many complaints about the 980 displays failing after just a year or less of use. The last one I owned had a problem when I purchased it brand new. Looking at it head-on, it wasn’t very bright (despite being on the highest setting). As I moved to the right, it quickly grew dimmer and eventually blacked out, and as I moved to the left, it grew brighter. The best view was at a 45 degree angle from the left.

3. The ProComm Patriot base antenna. It simply appears to be their 18’ version with the middle 6’ section missing, leaving it at 12’ in length with a thick, sturdy bottom section, a flimsy top section and all kinds of SWR problems.

For reasons I cannot understand, some companies have no problem selling crap. They also have no desire to improve on their previous work. Status quo seems to be standard practice for a lot of companies. Yes, there are a few reputable companies who care and try to improve over time, and these companies will get my business.

Is it me, or does "quality control" seem to be a thing of the past. Not just radios, but in the everyday things we purchase? Or am I just imagining this?

I know this didn't come close to an answer for you, Riverman. But it's the best I currently have.

One of the CB mysteries for me is why Qixiang doesn't build more SSB CB's.

They make all kinds of 10M radios with SSB. Anytone has a crap load of AM and AM/FM CB's, but none with SSB. Maybe not enough margin.

For reasons I cannot understand, some companies have no problem selling crap. They also have no desire to improve on their previous work. Status quo seems to be standard practice for a lot of companies. Yes, there are a few reputable companies who care and try to improve over time, and these companies will get my business.

Is it me, or does "quality control" seem to be a thing of the past. Not just radios, but in the everyday things we purchase? Or am I just imagining this?

I know this didn't come close to an answer for you, Riverman. But it's the best I currently have.
Well lack of quality Control is the same thing as lack of Good Customer Service overall,seems like sadly no one cares anymore in both of those areas, JMO................

73's

I have 2 Uniden 980 and I haven't had the problems with the displays,but I have heard lots of complaints concerning the display issue, Uniden needs to get there act together and do what is right by the consumer,of course silly me,that would be too much to ask in today's world,Uniden in the past back in the 70's and 80's and maybe early 90's used to Solid in manufacturing CB radio,but sounds like they don't care about the consumer, JMO......

73's

I have 2 Uniden 980 and I haven't had the problems with the displays,but I have heard lots of complaints concerning the display issue, Uniden needs to get there act together and do what is right by the consumer,of course silly me,that would be too much to ask in today's world,Uniden in the past back in the 70's and 80's and maybe early 90's used to Solid in manufacturing CB radio,but sounds like they don't care about the consumer, JMO......

73's
I’ve had a couple of 980s.
One several years ago (Really good)
One last year (Terrible)
Uniden is batting .500 with me. That’s good in baseball. Not so good in radios. :cool:

Quality in America has went out the window & attitudes in customer service. They just want to flood the market with cheap junk so you have to buy more often. We are loosing our grip as world leaders because human Greed has taken over. End of Rant. LOL PS I have a 980 about 3-4 years but good thing I haven't leaned on it heavy !

Now that FM mode is legal, Uniden chose to put FM in the 880 and not the 980. And my 980 hasn't given me a bit of trouble, but it lives in it's box on the shelf. It's not a bad radio, and almost made it into my ammo can portable. But then I found out that the McKinley is the same size and it was an easy choice.

Last edited:
Do you think maybe they are going to abort the 980. You hear talk of it all the time, maybe because they can't straighten out their display problem CHEAP. LOL
It does make you wonder why they didn't add FM mode to the 980,on another note has there been any complaints about the display going out on the Uniden 880,or is it exclusively a 980 issue only?? I do wonder if they will phase out the 980 and bring out a newer version or model!!

73's

Do you think maybe they are going to abort the 980. You hear talk of it all the time, maybe because they can't straighten out their display problem CHEAP. LOL
If I had to guess, I would say that the 980 is their biggest seller, even with the display problem. I don't know if Uniden makes radios anymore, or if they are all made by a third party and they are just living on their reputation.

If I had to guess, I would say that the 980 is their biggest seller, even with the display problem. I don't know if Uniden makes radios anymore, or if they are all made by a third party and they are just living on their reputation.
You might be right about the biggest seller because I have heard more brag about the 980 and people swearing by them, then I've heard display problems. But I knew a guy in another forum that bought a used one and bragged about it but it didn't take long before he had display problems. And the last I heard from him it wasn't fixed yet. I know I have mine set up in another room and use it to hear voice modulation when I'm testing a different radio in my radio room. I will say the 980 is on the money for SSB, so I guess it will be a keeper.

It does make you wonder why they didn't add FM mode to the 980,on another note has there been any complaints about the display going out on the Uniden 880,or is it exclusively a 980 issue only?? I do wonder if they will phase out the 980 and bring out a newer version or model!!

73's
You brought out a good question about 880 display ?????

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.